1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Grabber questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Asomodai, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    hey up guys and gals.

So a band that i loved when i was growing, then hated turning into an adult and just getting back into now, has a pretty sweet bass tone which i never noticed before!

So the gear used was an original Gibson grabber, and a Ampeg SVT Special anniversary head, tuned drop C.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the bass sounds more like the all Maple version or the alder version? I know maple is traditionally brighter and the tone seems pretty bright to me, if i bought an alder one would it produce a similar tone?

Is the Sliding pickup a Single coil? How powerful is the output of the bass? (Could it be compared to an active bass? I dont want to have to keep adjusting levels majorly in live shows when switching)

How would you rate the Grabber II reissues compared to the originals? Is it worth paying the extra cost for a new one compared to the older models? Do they even sound alike? I have the cash to buy a pre-owned one in exactly 3 weeks time (Student loan), whats the going rate for one? (Taking into account i am in the UK and if i imported stateside i would have to pay shipping/vat.

Above all, does anyone gig with theirs constantly, can you get the tone like the one in the link above reasonably easily?

My current rig setup is.

Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp or a Trace Elliot SMX Pre-amp.
    Crown XS-700 (1900 watts mono bridged)
    Barefaced 2x15 with tweeter.

2. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Bump!

3. I've got an ALDER '77 Gibson G3- very similar to the Grabber, but w- 3 single coils & a 3 way pup select switch- & this selects the pups in HB mode only- front(neck) 2, all 3, or rear 2.
    I've tried a maple G3 & while there was slight difference, I think it was more to do w- the fretboard being maple where mine's Rosewood. I could be wrong, but that was my take.
    I dunno much re the Grabber & pups- but IIRC the pup is a HB that slides. From what I've heard, it doesn't get a LOTTA tonal difference from the sliding options.
    I DO know that MY G3 is a REAL GROWL monster!! A good set of roundwounds on it, & it's probably the most 'IMPOLITE' bass in my arsenal & that I've ever played!!! :hyper: Such huge grinding growliness!!!!! :) I dunno how much of this is involved w- the GRABBER tho-sorry.
    GibsonG-3-1-1.jpg
    Again from what I've heard & read- The single coil pups in G3's were Bill Lawrence designed.
    Hope you find someone who can help U more.

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I believe he has an alder body Grabber but to be honest I doubt in a loud rock setting you would ever notice.

It is a humbucker. About the same output as a Precision bass. Not as powerful as an active bass.

I have never played a Grabber 2 but at that price I would pas and get a vintage one. You can get a vintage Grabber for under $1000 and those reissues are like three times as much.

I owned one for awhile but no longer have one. I really like Grabbers and I think you should be able to mimic that tone pretty easily.

5. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    Pretty sure he uses a maple version. but the both are amazing and you can get similar tone from both.

+1

6. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    Hey I am a huge Thrice fan too! Just check out my user name... Hmm it has a striking resemblance to their newest single, All the World is Mad. And yes I too aspire to own a grabber like Riley's.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Eddie has a few grabbers, and uses them live but a fair share of their recordings are done with his P-basses (both vintage and a new 5er). His wiki page says his main grabber is a 76 which would mean it was alder (the changeover was 75) but doesn't list years for the other two.

As far as output/tone, my G3 has very low output in comparison to most other basses, enough so that I use a boost when I play that bass to get the most clean volume out of my amp, but I don't have a Grabber to compare so I have to base my opinions on a half-informed view. Either way, they are definitely not as loud as an active bass. The benefit there is that he probably has to crank his amp a little higher to get the same tone/volume and since he plays through ampeg SVT-CLs and uses a pick (mostly) he probably gets a fair amount of grind in his live tone.

8. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Cheers for the advice guys, just gotta find one now!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020