Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Grabber Search!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Low-End Monster, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Low-End Monster

Low-End Monster

Apr 21, 2000
    Hi,

I am looking for a Gibson Grabber Bass (w/ the sliding pickup and maple neck and fingerboard) with an Eggplant Sparkle Finish (Dark purple with sparkles). I would prefer to find it in the best possible condition and intact with the original Gibson Case! (Most Grabbers seem to be missing the bridge cover).

If anyone can help me and point me in the right direction to find one of these beauties, please let me know!

It was the first bass I ever owned, and I hope to own it once again. I loved that bass, but sold it back in 1979 when I was 18. Needed the money! You know... the typical musician's sob story!

Thanks,

LEM

2. you might try http://www.gbase.com, they don't have any purple one that i have seen but you might want to keep checking.
    there is a guitar center in MA that has 2 burgandy ones but the are missing the bassics and don't sparkle. good luck
    i also love those basses

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was about to ask, "What in the heck would you want one of those for?" I guess sentimentality would be pretty much the only excuse.

5. I'm really surprised that these '70's Gibson basses are given such little respect. Admitedly, the Grabber isn't my favourite model, but another similar era bass, The Ripper is a very fine bass indeed with outstanding tone and feel. I guess The Ripper is sort like the deluxe Gibson bass of the '70s - 2 humbuckers, 4-way rotary switch, better bridge, set neck (not a bolt on like the Grabber). My Ripper is one of my favourite basses in my collection.

I suppose I wouldn't rate the Grabber nearly as high, but still, they are a well made US vintage bass and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

6. Low-End Monster

Low-End Monster

Apr 21, 2000
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info. My search is off to a great start! The one at gbase.com which is refered to as a "Wine" or "Burgandy" color actually the "Eggplant" color I memtioned earlier. This is the finish I am looking for but with sparkles. I know it sound gawdy, but it is actually a very nice finish.

Please let me know if any of you spot one.

Thanks in advance,

LEM

7. I'm with Rob W here, Gibson basses deserve a bit more respect. I have a G3, the middle brother in the series, and it is a great sounding and playing bass. It has 3 see through single coil pickups and sounds like fender meets alembic.

8. i also love gibsons! have always owned a thunderbird, love RD artists even though they are smaller than the thunderbird i think they may weigh more, and if i find some money to spend i would buy a fretless ripper or grabber. not a big fan of that odd one with the thunderbird headstock i think it might be called a freedom or something

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am with gruffpuppy, I love the RD Artist, and hope to own one someday, if I ever find one when I have money.

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

There's a sweet-lookin' Ripper ~
    fretless, 2 pups, sunburst, search at http:www.gbase.com ~ for $600 :eek:

George Gruhn ( http:www.gruhn.com ) has a black,
    `78 Grabber G-3 (3 single coils) in excellent condition.
    Also $600 :rolleyes: .

11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The sunburst fretless Ripper is a nice looking one.

Anybody out there have a Ripper bridge cover they don't need?? I have a fretted twin to my fretless black/ebony fretless coming via UPS next week, and it lacks a bridge cover. I'm no collector or anything, I just like the look with the cover.

Please contact me if you have one!