Gibson Grabber Upper Horn Strap Button Loose (Move the Button?)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by J03YW, Feb 10, 2019.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Hey guys, I recently bought a Gibson Grabber and it's in great condition save for a disconcertingly loose strap button on the upper horn of the body. The screw will turn and never positively engage with the wood, but it's sturdy enough for bedroom recording for now. One will notice that this strap button is on the inside of the horn, and I don't exactly love that design in the first place. Would it be a good idea to move the button to the tip of the horn, Fender style? Has anybody done this? If not, how would you recommend I go about repairing the button's screw in its current position?

2. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Remove the screw/button. Insert a few pieces of wood tooth picks and some wood glue in the hole. Reinstall the screw/button and let dry. Bazinga!

gebass6, s_wood, JLS and 3 others like this.
  3. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Sick, far less drastic than moving the hole (even if I hate where it is now)

Thanks!

Joedog likes this.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep!

the key is enough wood toothpicks that the screw goes tight once the button is all the way down, and enough wood glue that it squeezes out when you put the screw in.

and yes, wood glue (titebond original, etc) not gorilla glue or JB weld or superglue or any other disaster.

(and no waiting for the glue to dry, that defeats the entire purpose. crank it in while wet so it dries strong.)

96tbird likes this.
  5. I did this exact trick with a strap lock button that had worked loose. It's a cheap hack that works wonders

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The fix is outlined above, and in 200+ other threads here on TB. Search for "loose strap button."

7. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I was kind of asking more about moving the button but I got lazy and did the old toothpick method.

8. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Nice avatar mang.