Gibson Grabber @ Warped Tour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Commercial User

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    A lot of Fenders, some Schecters, some customs, and then the Grabber. I've never seen one of these things played live before, it can kick out a mean bass tone. (The Ampeg cab probably had something to do with it too.) The bassist from the band There For Tomorrow had one.

2. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I used to own a Gibson G-3, looks just like it. I don't know about the pickup difference, from a Grabber to G-3. It was an ok bass, I prefered Fender p's and jazz. Until I bought a Alembic.

3. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    maybe it was a G-3.
    they are way to close to tell.

4. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    My son has his choice of any number of basses, but always gigs his Grabber. They do (can) have a nice tone. The bridge is junk. Many mention their heaviness, but this one seems light and easily managed.

5. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I once googled Gibson G-3 and thier was a quote from John Entwistle "this could be the ugliest bass ever made".

6. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    haha, they have a style all there own for sure.
    at least its not a toilet seat bass.;)

the sound is unreal. he had to keep turning it down because it outpowered two guitars and a drummer!
    i know his rig would have something to do with it, well a lot, but the bass sounds killer.

7. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    he turned around a couple of times to retune..

the stock bridges suck, they fall apart.. most people replace them with an aftermarket bridge.. i have a Spector NSX (3.5lb gigantic block of brass) bridge on mine, which i'm going to replace it with a Badass II..

for a few years they went with an Alder body, which lightened the bass up.. but the majority have maple bodies, and are pretty heavy overall.. my Grabber is very heavy..

they get a really good tone, and the sliding pickup really does change the timber quite a bit.. i'm pretty happy i have mine..

8. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I'll be at warped tour in 2 weeks

9. the bass in the video was a grabber. kenny vasoli of the starting line played a g3 for a few years before switching back to P basses. apparently the bassist for SKSK plays a grabber as well. eddie from thrice plays them exclusively. they have become a scene trend, which is likely why the grabber was reissued (for ridiculous sums of money).

10. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    the Bassist from Russian Circles plays one of these along with and RD..Awesome basses

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I had a Grabber like the one in the video. I loved the look of it and the sliding pick-up did change the tone. However, after a few years of tweaking, I just couldn't get happy with it, so it went away. I've had a couple of others that feel in the same category. A Hofner Beatle bass and a Vox Teardrop. I've recently acquired one of the newer Gibson Epiphone reissues with no sliding pick-up and I'm real happy with it. BTW, I realize that it's a YouTube video, but I'm wondering what the sound guy was doing. The Tele player was, IMO, the only sound that was dialed in. :cool:

12. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
  13. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I played an Epi Ripper and really dug it. Any major differences between the two?

14. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    My experience reveals that the Epi Ripper's neck is not as thick and a little flatter. The body for the Epi is also larger. I kept the original case for my Grabber and thought the Ripper would fit. Not. The Grabber case is too small. :cool:

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Huge differences. The epi ripper is not a ripper in any sense of the term. and the Grabber is a completely different bass altogether. The epi ripper reissues were a P/J combo, the originals had P90 style pickups with a varitone control, and the Grabber has a sliding humbucker.

The grabber I would describe as a very mid-heavy P bass. I own a G3 and I would describe that as a mid-only P bass. My G3 has the lowest output of any bass I've ever played, and from my searches, it seems that I'm not a long in that sense.

If you want to hear more of the Grabber, the bass players from TREOS, Thrice, and Fall of Troy all play them as well. As far as the original vs the reissue, the reissue is not as much of a reissue as it is a redesign, and is far over priced, costing more than twice as much as a used original.

16. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    Two basses that caught my eye at warped tour this year.

One was the ebmm big al at the ebmm demo area, which sounds and feels amazing. It also looks much better in person than in photos.

The other was the epiphone hollowbody with a P pickup that Jay from Bad Religion was playing.

17. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    good bass

18. I have 2 Grabbers, and it's one of best in my collection. Tone ? Gorgeous and Sexy.
    It has most versatility of single pickup, only with volume and tone. Yeh, pickup move front and back, just like position of 2 jazz pickups.

One natural,
    grabber_playing.jpg

One dark wine
    IMG_4462.gif

Yeh, I tried G-3 while I owned it for 3 year? well.... worth but traded to Fender.
    Can't be compared with grabber, sorry.