1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Grabber with a P-bass pickup.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knw, Apr 28, 2010.

1. knw

knw

Dec 8, 2008
    I have 75' Gibson Grabber with out a pickup and I was wonder if anyone had a chance to play a grabber with p-bass pick up near the neck position.

I currently have a custom vintage p-bass pickup with more low end being build for it. Wondering if that's the correct choice.

I just want it to sound big and warm.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Should sound fine. Grabbers had maple bodys as I remember, so its gonna be a bright sounding bass. Some kind of humbucker would be the other best choice imo.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    That's what I'd do. P-bass pickup in the Grabber's "forward" slid position.

And, just because I liked the result on a couple of basses, I'd swap the positions of the pickup halves and put the treble side FORWARD (more towards the neck)of the bass half.

My old Grabber I thought was probably Alder, as was my G3, both Rippers were Maple, though, as I recall. I only kept the G3 for any considerable time, like more than six months.

4. I always thought a Grabber with an ATK tripple-bucker (or w/e it's called) would be a super neat project...

In any case, i'm sure a P would sound jus fine! Stoaked to see/hear the final product.

5. knw

knw

Dec 8, 2008
    I don't want it to sound bright at all hahaha

My main bass is 4003 ric and that's bright enough for me.

I also tune in CGCF and I use heavy guage string from a 5 string pack. They are pretty old I like how they sound dull.

I just need a nice low end boom.

I'll let you know how it sounds.