Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gibson grabber yes or no???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Feb 26, 2006.

1. the name says it all do u like or dislike the bass???

2. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    My first bass was a G-3. I liked it, for the most part. Traded it for a Fender. If I were to ever find one again in good shape, for the right price, I might consider it.

3. I also had a G-3, (my first real bass purchase), and loved it. I just wish I had better gear to play it through back then. It wasn't as clean as it could have been, and that allowed me to trade it off. (...for a Rick, though...;) ). Wish I'd kept it, but, hey; "turn the page"...

4. I had a G-3 back in the day. I'd get another one.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think they're really neat in general, but I've never had a chance to try one out for myself.

6. yes i really like them and i'm wanted one since i started playing bass. but i like the gibson rippers alot more with the two pups in them. i would take a grabber but if i where to buy one i would really want a ripper.

i do however like the grabbers headstock better then the ripper.

7. I've got a friend that's got a Ripper. Punchier than all get-out!:eek: What a sound!:bassist:

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Have one, love it.

9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I saw a band the other night that had a bassist who was playing a Grabber. The thing sounded like ASS! Now, that may be attributable more to the player, but his tone overall was unappealing.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I love them and I've been wanting one for many years.
    They are pretty hard to find in near mint condition, nowadays.

11. Some cats love em...i dont know why...The only cool thing about them is they are light(which kills tone in my opinion), and they have the "Movable" Pickup which is sorta cool....I guess....Ive sold about three of them to kids who want to sound like Thrice......

12. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    The guy who taught me to play had a Grabber; punch like few other basses I have played. Neck was a little unwieldy, body is huge but thin, playablility was an issue, but...

...I love that bass to this day. Lovely old-school, rarely seen axe.

PS- At lessons he'd let me play the Grabber or his late-70s P-Bass instead of my little beginner axe ('till I moved up :)). What a guy!