1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Guitar Corp worst employer in entire USA, says survey

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jjango, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    In the entire country, Gibson is the absolute worst company to work for? Really?

Anyone have any insights on why they got voted the very worst?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5BF0N920091216

(The article begins with the "Best Employers" list. You have to scroll down to see the "worst" list.)

2. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
  3. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    All i know is that their basses are very bad.

4. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow. Those testimonials paint an extremely unpleasant picture!

5. After what I've read, I doubt that I will ever buy a Gibson guitar.

6. I buy their products, not their corporate vision. Distressing to hear that they are such a sucky company to work for, though...

...and as for the above, how about "IMO"??? BTW, you don't "know" anything of the sort...

...I (and many others here) happen to like Gibson products, guitars AND basses.

7. +1. It's really too bad. :rollno:

8. feeling better about selling mine now. =).

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    +1

10. My opinion

Older Gibsons are usually great instruments.

Though not all of the newer Gibson basses are bad, my experience has been a lot of inconsistency coming from their current lines (especially considering the premium product they continue to market themselves as). Whether that is from a bad company culture or just inconsistent design is beyond my purview.

EDIT: I will add that the work seems to vary widely between different construction sites, so this may not be a Gibson corp. problem, it may be and issue with the operation of a select portion of the company.

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Epiphone seemed to have upped it's game big time in recent years~ does anyone know if Ep shares the same management as Gibson???

12. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I know this sort of thing wouldn't affect everybody's decision making. It would mine though - I would absolutely be less likely to buy a Gibson after reading this.

The bigger thing though is; its a shame the CEO is such a poor leader. That sort of behavior with someone in a big job can negatively affect a lot of lives.

13. Here is an example of where a Board of Directors should exercise governance and throw the bum out.

Unfortunately, Gibson is privately held. If the owners don't care enough to preserve the value of their own company, they are free in this country to drive it into the ground.

I hope their CEO and president take this as a huge wake-up call and learn to respect their employees. If they can't, then I hope they at least hire someone to lead it that can.

14. Here's an interesting comment on this I read:

15. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You would let the actions of the CEO on the employees affect if you buy the product that the employees make???? By doing that you are shafting the workers more than the CEO.the servay said it was taked from employees from Nashville, that is corperate HQ a d the Drobro and mandlin plant. I did not see anything from people that work at the Memphis ( electric bass & guitar) or Bozeman (acustic). Look at what people say about working there. My guess is these were mid management people that work at the corperate HQ ( I could be wrong) I do not believe the men and woman that build Les Paul's, SG's & T-birds feel that way. Most have worked there all there lives.

16. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Yeah I understand that logic, but I guess I don't see it the same way. I just don't want to support such a terrible CEO. If I don't buy, maybe its more likely that he will get fired by the board. There's also the practical issue that a company as badly run as this one seems to be has to have issues with quality control.

17. 1st of all. I believe Gibson is privately held: no BOD to fire the CEO...he owns the company, he calls the shots. Whether you buy a Gibson product or do not, it's his $$$ on the line, his company if it falters (or does well) no faceless shareholders, the company is run by him, plain & simple.

2nd, tell 'ya what, I'd rather work for a "terrible" "flakey" CEO than one who shuts down US production and moves everything overseas. Which is what is happening in so many industries, musical instruments included. Ie: Loud > St Louis Music > Ampeg Crate & others. And how much stuff is Peavey making in the USA these days? (in basses: Cirrus Custom Shop, nothing else) Work for Gibson? You can biotch, complain, whine, at least you still have a job. Unlike so many other companies, where no more US jobs exist, except maybe sales/marketing...

Being the "CEO" of a corporation that builds nothing, outsources, & lives off it's reputation, there's the real crime, IMO...and there's waaaay more of those types of corporations out there than the Gibson's of the world.

18. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I knew that Gibson was privately held. I didn't realize that he was the only shareholder. Frankly that only drives the point home even more for me. If this is his company - as in he owns it - I really don't want to support the guy.

In terms of US production - I understand that as well but its a different topic. A crappy US based company isn't going to get kudos from me just because they have jobs in the US. There's lots of companies that are high on the list that are also US based.

Hey look its real simple - the guy seems to be a jerk and I don't want to support that.

19. I don't know that he's the "only" shareholder either. Only that it's not a corporation...publicly traded. He could have investment partners. But who, what %'s, etc, that's private. He is the visible...and vocal...figurehead.

"Crappy" based on what? The opinions of some of their employees?...or their product itself? I guess I'd prefer that he was more of a sweetheart to work for:meh:but I base my opinions on the product I buy (and IMO Gibson makes a good product), & the fact that Gibsons are produced in the USA, instead of abroad. BTW...many "US based" companies don't manufacture in the US at all...you don't have to worry about whether the CEO is a sweetie or a jerk, 'cuz 'ya ain't working for him. Hardly anybody is. I would prefer not to support "them"...

Yeah, you said that previously. If you're looking for a reason not to buy a Gibson, I guess that's as good as any. But I own Gibson guitars & basses. When I pick up my T-bird I could care less if the guy running the plant that made it is an angel or not. It's a great player/looker, and made in USA. That's what matters.