Gibson historians, help.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    To make a long story short, my singer/guitar player has an old Les Paul he has been playing for a while, it came from the family of it's deceased original owner s few years back. All original, except the tuners have been replaced with Grovers, even has it's original HSC.

He said he originally thought this was a 69 model, but after some looking around, it appears this could very well be a 56'. It is a goldtop, with plastic P-90 soapbar pickups, and is aged, but in great condition considering.

I was wondering if Gibson did any pencil dating like Fender did, or if there are any other period determining factors? From what I have read, the serial #'s are of little help, but I can have that, and pics of it as soon as he gets it out of PAWN.....and yes, I told him already he is out of his mind for doing that. For the record, this isn't BS, I have personally played and checked the guitar out myself.
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Gibson dating
    That should be able to tell you all you need to know to date it.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if its a '56 its sure worth alot of money yeah?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it is in good shape, and has not been refinished, it is probably worth at least $6K.
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Actually, it is in very good condition, original finish, everything original except the klusons are gone as noted......we're really hoping it is worth 10 or better.....he plans on paying off a couple bills, and buying us a newer, bigger, better PA.
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Tim Cole
    In House Funkologist

Supporting Member

Total Posts: 1337

7. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    So Tim, is it too late for me to run over to Findlay with a few hundred bucks to check out the pawn shops?;)
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Heh :D

He just has a loan out on it at this point, I surely don't think he would lose it.....I mean dang, I'd sell the wife and kids first!