Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Humbucker, Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hella_Groovy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Hey, I've got a question, but first some background: I recently got a 167 Gibson EB0 as a project bass, and the previous owner drilled an extra hole (*_*) for a 2nd output jack, why, I don't know. Anyway, I need something to put in the hole ;) . I'm thinking, if its possible, of putting in a series/parallel switch like the new Fenders have. Can this be done with the Gibson humbucker, and if so, how?

Thanks! :)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the EBO pup I had only had a hot lead and ground and you need 4 leads to run series/parallel. From the sound of it, personally I'd plug the hole with a dummy jack (or dummy pot if it's on the face - or you might check out the piezo thread and use it for volume on the piezo, if any pup could use some treble it's an EBO).

3. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Thanks for the help! Think I'll take it to Lindy Fralin across town and get those extra leads put on.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Another option might be to see if you can find a Dimarzio Model One or Will Power Neck, as the first was a development of the Gibson, and the second is a modified M1. Both have 4 wires, apparently fit the same mountings, and are usually cheap on ebay.

5. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Not a bad idea either, but this is a vintage original pup, and I'd like to keep it if at all possible. Unless it sounds like crap. :p

6. Look at the wires on it- I seem to remember something about a extra lead coming off the pickup which effectively acts as a coil tap when disconnected.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually, I think you'd have to have the pup rewound to add the leads. At any rate, if you jack with that pup, it won't be original anymore (Fralin or no). I've heard some good things about the Will Power pup lately and would be something to look into if it indeed would go into the same housing.

I've had the EBO and a model one and I personally wasn't impressed with either of them.

8. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    True. If it needs rewinding I may just go with an aftermarket pup, and save the original for a future project. I think I might just like the EB0 sound judging from what I've heard. I guess one mans mud is another's melting butter (Just don't try it on toast :p )