1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson is not attending 2018 NAMM - are they on the rocks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by onlyclave, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Garret Graves likes this.
  2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    They're not musical instrument manufacturers now. They're a lifestyle company.

Henry is - well, I have the words, I learned them in the military, but I guess I can't use those here.

MattZilla, saabfender, pcake and 5 others like this.
  3. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Fender taking over Gibson would be a pretty stunning development. The latter would become like Gretsch or Guild. I have a hard time picturing it.

MattZilla likes this.
  4. Hm, it's almost as if focusing on $2000+ instruments of quality on par with ones available at 1/4 of the price isn't a good business model...

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's a non-issue.
    Gibson has a big booth debuting new guitar models at CES this week.
    They just chose a different trade show to go to.
    NAMM is decreasingly relevant to their needs in terms of writing orders to their current distributor base.
    And they can get as much or more media coverage by doing CES.

6. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    All trade shows are sales events. There is no show and tell.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I guess that you've missed a thread dealing with similar predictions

Are Gibson/Epiphone/Tobias going bust?

Fender buying Gibson is unlikely to happen for a slew of reasons, one of the most important ones being that FMIC is not doing all that great themselves from the financial standpoint, and purchasing Gibson outright would not be an inexpensive venture at all. I can't see a foreign company shelling out cash for such a purchase either.

Serious money is being made in pharmaceuticals, not guitars and basses.

MattZilla likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah who would see Gibson as a great investment? If they were perceived that way they would have been bought years ago.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Someone will ultimately buy the guitar plans and templates, raw materials, finished inventory, trademarks, dealer/distributor contracts, etc. By who and how it emerges in a couple years is anybodies guess. But those who hold the $500 million debt are going to get a haircut.

fretlessguy and wmmj like this.
  10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    Maybe disney will buy gibson

11. I’d say that ... yeah ... I would invest in Fender

12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Which is rated *slightly* better than Gibson...let's face it, musical instruments industry is a lousy place to invest at the moment, and has been that way for a while...

13. Ok ... let’s buy Ethereum then ...:crying::crying::crying:

14. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    They are absolutely on the rocks.

They got way over levered to jump into non core businesses (headphones, consumer audio,stereos, etc). But their revenues from their core business are stressed and their reputation has suffered due to poor QC and bad new products.

Their CEO is reputed to be a malignant narcissist who has created a toxic work environment and is reviled inside and outside the company.

On top of t all, their debt was downgraded well into junk status. It’s not a pretty picture and if you have seen their NAMM presence it is quite an expenditure to them. So not going puts a lot of money straightinto their bottom line.

Torched.

15. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    How do you guys know their situation is so bad? People seem to know details like the work environment, the CEO’s personality and the company debt level.

Any link to a good article I could read?

I do understand that the musical instrument industry in general is in a downturn, perhaps permanently (due to changes in the music people listen to [demographics, style evolution], how that music is made and distributed, and to bigger changes in people’s lifestyles in general), and Gibson has been one of my favorite companies, so I’m interested

16. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Here’s their Glassdoor rating. (Employees rating their employers anonymously)

Gibson Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

saabfender and dmt like this.
  17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The instruments are trash and the CEO is trash. Not every company gets to live forever. Good riddance.

RickenCliff likes this.
  18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Nah, Gibson ain't going anywhere...they are set in their ways....

19. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Interesting. Also, I didn’t know that website, thanks!

20. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    If Fender bought Gibson, maybe then they could make a guitar that will stay in tune. LOL :)