Gibson Kalamazoo Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Aaron W Lowther, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Aaron W Lowther

Aaron W Lowther

Jan 13, 2019
    I've got a vintage Gibson Kalamazoo KB-1 Bass neck and I was wondering if anyone knew what it would otherwise fit on? Fender bodies? Gibson/Epiphone bodies?

I appreciate the assistance.

2. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Pictures?

3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Dimensions?

4. Aaron W Lowther

Aaron W Lowther

Jan 13, 2019
    My apologies, I don't think I didn't make myself as clear as necessary. I purchased the neck online and have yet to receive it, so I don't have dimensions. I was just hoping someone knew off the top of their head. The dimensions don't seem to be published anywhere on line that I can find.

5. Aaron W Lowther

Aaron W Lowther

Jan 13, 2019
    My apologies, I don't think I didn't make myself as clear as necessary. I purchased the neck online and have yet to receive it, so I don't have dimensions. I was just hoping someone knew off the top of their head. The dimensions don't seem to be published anywhere on line that I can find.
    VINTAGE 1960'S KALAMAZOO U.S.A. GIBSON BASS NECK GOOD USED CONDITION | eBay

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
  7. This seems rather odd to me. In the auction where this was purchased, he claims it is a 32" medium scale neck.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 9.53.37 AM.png

I owned the "mustang" version of this bass and it was definitely short scale (30.5"). As you can see below, both of the Kalamazoo models had 30.5" short scale necks. It's easy to tell, simply measure from the inside of the nut to the 12th fret and then double it when you get it - and that will give you the scale length.

When you get it, if it is medium scale, please report on this. I would find that pretty fascinating from an historical perspective.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 9.48.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 9.48.30 AM.png

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021