1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Les Paul bass (faded/flat top) vs. Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by t-bird fan, Sep 6, 2008.

1. t-bird fan

t-bird fan

Sep 6, 2008
    I almost bought the Gibson LP Faded Limited Edition Flat Top bass when it went on sale for $650 a few weeks ago (back to $859 now). It has very similar hardware and attributes to my next pick...a Thunderbird, but for less than half the price. They are both Mahogany, both the same Pups, both neck-through-body, same scale etc.

How different can they sound?

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the bird is neck-through and the LP is set neck but you're right, they're very close in sound.

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    No reasonable justification for the pricetag of the Tbird IME. If you want that sound with Gibson on the headstock, I'd say the LP isn't bad, but still a bit steep for what you get IMO.

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the Gibson V (four, not Flying V) is set neck mahogany with t-bird pickups and can be had for even less, maybe around $600 on ebay.

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Apples v. Oranges...........'Birds are very mid-rangy lots of sustain, LP's are darker and tighter sounding...........Construction alone greatly influnces this, 'Birds (except late 60's ) are multiply neck-thru, LPs are set-neck they sound different :)