1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Les Paul bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan250, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Has the Les Paul bass been discontinued? I was on MusiciansFriend the other day and only saw the Money and Double Cut models, not the standard Les Paul model. Can anyone clue me in? I've been GAS'ing for a Les Paul for awhile and have been saving up for one, and it'd be a major bummer if they're not in production anymore.

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The carved top was discontinued, all they make now is th faded glory flat top ones.

I love my carved top LP.

3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Funny how G have discontinued the bass, just as I have started to see more folks using LPBs live! I GAS for a nice Honeyburst!

4. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Man what a bummer ... well hopefully once I have some more cash I'll be able to find one on eBay or somewhere.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A LP 5er is the only bass I have GAS for.

No idea why beyond the fact that I have 2 LP 6 strings and LPs are the only 6 string guitars I play.

My Lakland will be on eBay as soon as I find a LP5 and I have never even played one!

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Should we truly expect anything less from Gibson? Keeping a popular model in production and making a profit from their basses would make far too much sense. ;)

7. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
  8. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I was going to look for a carved top, the flat tops have never appealed to me at all. I'm hoping that there will be ones on eBay by the time I have $1500 or so saved up.

9. RLS

RLS

Aug 2, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I was looking for one a week or so ago and one of the major online retailers still had a couple at $1,499.00 closeout. There was only one color combo left. I can't remember if it was honeyburst. Can't remember which retailer but a google search should turn them up if they still have some.

10. Help educate a newbie : what's the difference between the Flat Top and Flamed Carved Top? When did they start chambered bodies? Is there a Les Paul Standard with a chambered bodie?

11. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    FYI: The LP faded models are Gibson's way of using up the LP Standard bass bodies. The word is that they have no plans to produce any more once these are all sold.

12. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    The Flat top was a bass made in the 90's. First ones were just all mahogany passive with tbird pups. Second 90's version had Bart & bart pre-amp & offered a maple flame top deluxe version both in five strings.

The standard Carved top started in the late 90's to this year.

The first ones had three point bridges, no toggles, then they added a licensed warwick two piece bridge & toggle dropped the bart pre amp & pickups and used tbird passive pups in smaller covers. These were really heavy basses 11-pounds +. They added a flame top version in a 4 & 5 string that now go for around $2000+ used

In 2002 or so they chambered the body on the carved top to relieve some weight, but still not light. My seems to weigh about 8-9 pounds bathroom scale says it's 8 pounds, but I'm not believing it. I know someone with a older flat top that he says is 8 pounds.
    neckview.

moneyshot.

birdseye.

The faded glory as stated is what's left over from the standards, then will be gone.
    P1020610.

The carved top feels uncomfortable at first, with-it's strange top and slightly chunky neck (NOT WARWICKY CHUNKY), but once I got mine set up right, it plays really great, balances well and love the sound. The pickups are a passive and super hot. LP's are great basses. They really hold their value well too. The carved tops rarely sell used for under $1200, so if interested you can always flip it 7 get your money back. the maple top & ebony neck really give the Standard punch & brightness the faded glory does not have. The Faded glory is a T bird with better upper fret access. A really nice bass for the money in my opinion.

Anyone who says woods don't effect tone try the faded glory then the standard. They both have the same pups, but different covers, the standard has a 1/2 carved maple top & ebony fingerboard. The faded has no maple & a rosewood board. They sound distinctly different to my ears. the Standard has a more in your face rock tone & better harmonics & sustain and the faded glory is like a nice tbird tone- just sits right in the mix a very ballsy warm passive tone.

Hope that helps.

13. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul...ryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    I have a cherry sunburst 2005 carved top USA in mint cond. I want to sell

15. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    News that it's being discontinued is a major bummer! I was gonna save for one, too!Guess i'll save anyways if something comes up in the future.