Gibson Les Paul Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrtreacle, Oct 10, 2003.

1. mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Anyone ever played a mid 90's LP bass? If so, can you tell me what it's comparable to? I usually play Stingray's, but I'm hankering for one of these and wanted to get some opinions from you guys. What's the neck width like? The sound?

2. I played one like six years ago, and I remember a couple things about it. It was extremely heavy, and it had a big warm sound. I remember liking the sound quite a bit. I can't remember what the neck felt like, or any real specifics. sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  3. mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The one I am looking at is a '95.
  4. I would ask which ones also, there are a few. I own the Les Paul Recorder bass.

There is also a Les Paul Standard bass.

Thickness at 1st fret: 0.850"
    Thickness at 12th fret: 0.950"

This is a Standard.

This is a Recorder.

;) Treena
  5. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    There were three in the mid-90s: the carved-maple-cap Standard (like in Treena's top pic), the flat-maple-cap Deluxe, and the all-mahogany Special. The Standard and Deluxe had the Gibson slim taper profile, the Special had the rounded profile. All three have mahogany bodies under the cap, and mahogany necks.

I liked the passive version of the Special the best. Warm, subdued attack, moderate weight. I don't care for the Bart PUs in the Deluxe, and the Standard is way too heavy for me.
  6. I had a '92 (IIRC) LP Special in a 5 string. But it was active, not passive. Changing batteries was a pain, had to remove back cover with a bunch of screws.

Sound was good, basically a one-trick pony though.

Very heavy, and unbalanced. Had to use a wide leather strap to hold neck up. I found the neck to be comfortable to play.

Plusses: good tone, great looks.

Minusses: heavy, unbalanced, battery access sucked.

I lost this bass through an unfortunate situation. Its replacement was a Warwick, I didn't look for another LP bass.
  7. I have a '98 Les Paul Standard in cherry sunburst identical to the picture Treena Foster posted. The specs are listed for the neck width. The neck is very playable. These basses are a bit on the heavy side however. These basses have loads of sustain as well, so depending on what you're playing this may be good or bad. The tone of these have a similar sound to a P bass or ric when the neck pickup is played solo. The bridge pickup has a lot of bite to it. It sounds like a hotrodded j bass when played solo. I love the tone of these. There are two volume knobs and two tone knobs, one set for either pickup. Very stable design, wonderful craftsmanship, great hardware.... all in all, a great choice.
  8. bass-skin

Jul 17, 2003
    buffalo NY
    i own a an lp standard, the same one pictured above. I would compare its neck to a ric and it's sound to a p bass. The neck is very smooth and quick. The bass has tons of sustain, its great for harmonics and the tone is very versatile. I would also suggest playing it in front of the neck pickup. I found that i like the sound this produces much better than playing between like i do on all my other basses. And come on this bass just looks cool!
  9. Redman

Oct 21, 2002
    Nashville TN
    I have a 92 LP Bass, Tobacco burst, active electronics, rosewood fingerboard. Like Treena's pic but without the pick up selector switch up top. It has a "fat" sound (not unlike its 6 string counterpart) when set for either bass or treble effect. It has a wide spectrum of tone from the active electronics, and I agree with bass-skin on the sustain. I have a 76 P bass, but I don't think the P bass has the flexibility in tone or sustain that the LP bass has. Oh one other thing it's heavy, after 4 hours it kills my back. but then I'm old (48) My bass of choice is the G&L ASAT semi hollow body. Its much more dynamic than the p bass or the LP bass. See the G&L Club forum for more info... Good luck

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a '96 LPB-1 Deluxe (the official designation according to Gibson) in Cherry Burst with a killer flame maple top, Barts pups, Bart pre and Schaller bridge/hardware. The neck is very close to a P, a bit more comfortable for me. I love the sound of this bass. Very thick and rich with good focus. Not much variety in the tone department and that's okay with me (but more than a P). It gives great support and cuts through the mix very well with good fundamental. Great sustain. It looks and sounds excellent and (for me) is very easy to play. I don't find the weight much of a problem.
    It's not a P - if I want that I play one. Very much its own character - pretty different from my '02 passive TBird. I understand the passive versions of the LP's use similar pups.

I would get another in a minute if this was gone.

Good luck in your pursuit of one if you decide on it - I got mine as an excellent deal off ebay in nearly mint condition.