Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 4, 2005.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    What are your views on this gibson 5 string bass? i would love to get hold of one but they are sadly discontinued now :-( Anyone know anywhere i could still get one from?? I know the bass player from Remy zero used one.
  2. Ebay is always a good choice, as is TB. If it's discontinued then you have to keep your eyes on the used market.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They're pretty cool. Mohagany with bartolini pickups ... they're pretty warm/fuzzy/woody. If you're a slapper run the other way. They can't really keep up with many current production 5s in the same price range, but they've got a distinctive sound and if you dig it theres not much else like it out there.
  4. I had a Les Paul Special 5 for a couple years....the tone was definately warm, what with the T-bird soapbars and the Bart preamp and the mahogany body. Sounded very good in a classic rock setting.

However, it was terribly off-balance, since there is no upper horn for the strap to attach to...not a problem for a guitar, but for a longer-neck bass, can we say neck-dive galore??? And this was a heavy bass too, so it needed a very good comfortable strap.

The other detail I wasn't thrilled with: the battery for the preamp was inside the electronics cavity. So changing out the battery meant removing the four tiny little screws and prying the cover off (mine was a tight fit, it took a thin knife blade to pop the cover off). Battery changeouts were a royal pain, in other words. And the battery to me wasn't secured very well, it had a flimsy little metal clip. I always suspected the battery might start rattling around in the electronics compartment. I would suggest a REAL battery compartment, with a quick-opening lid!!!

The electronics were a tad noisy too....

An unfortunate incident took this bass away from me. When I searched for another 5 string, I did NOT pursue another Gibson Les Paul.