1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Les Paul Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Mar 31, 2013.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Anyone played any of these? I've been considering getting a used model for a good price. The bass is listed on MF and GC, but with no ratings. They look really cool, but I'm assuming their's a reason they never reached any popularity. This is a new model, I think, but not sure. Here's some pics:
    View attachment 328385
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364731647.950866.

2. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
  3. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
  4. I recently picked one of these up myself, and it's the best bass I've ever owned. I find it balances pretty nicely, no neck dive at all compared to my fender, and the neck practically plays itself, its a very nice playing bass. The tone is pretty dirty, but in a good way, it's a very fat, chunky tone. I think it's low popularity is due more to the T-bird just being the go to Gibson bass. The LP shape just isn't as popular. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll answer them as best I can.

5. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    Glad to see my theory disproven! :)

6. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Wow, cool! Is it flat or arch top? From te pictures it looks arch topped because of the reflection, but I don't wanna count on that.

7. Haha, yeah I was pretty surprised myself, but it barely moves at all if I let go of it. And yes, it's an archtop, huge body though, it's a fair bit bigger than the guitar version. That picture is mine next to an eclipse, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

8. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Sweet! The more I hear about this the more I want it.

9. And another shot

Attached Files:

10. If its this years model I think they made the body slightly smaller, but don't quote me on that, it's just something I've heard. I'd say go for it, it's not your typical Gibson bass so it's sure to stand out at shows, and it's a great feeling and sounding bass to play. If you want I can put a video on YouTube to show you what it sounds like, won't be until tomorrow though.

Attached Files:

11. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Central Massachusetts
    That would be awesome!

12. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    If you wouldn't mind, that'd be fantastic! Thanks for giving me so much info on this, much appreciated.

13. No problem, I had the same problem before I bought mine, very little info, so I took a leap on it. I know how frustrating it is when your dropping that kind of money on something.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

If you are talking about the current LP, do a search on "oversize" as there is lots of info on TB.

Great basses, very large body, very heavy and the output is louder than my 18v active basses (it is passive).

I loved mine, but I am more of a 5er guy so I sold it.

15. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Wow I cant say how much your statement shocks me. I have never owned a neck divey Fender myself. All my Fenders have balanced pretty well. That LP bass OTOH dove straight to the floor even with a wide suede strap. I suppose its all R/T body habitus but I cant imagine how you found one that balances well.

These basses are EXTREMELY heavy. Most in the 11-12 lb range. For this amount of money, you can do a lot better.

16. My fender isn't as bad as my thunderbird was, but I do find on me, using the same strap, it drops more than the LP, it's not a neck divey bass, just more so than the LP IMO. I know the day i got it my whole band was amazed at how well it sat. And I find the weight is about the same on the jaguar and les Paul, the newer ones are chambered so its a fair bit lighter than a solid les Paul. It's definitely a heavy bass, but nothing outrageous. I think the weight is just something you have to deal with if you seriously want a les Paul. Bottom line, it's just my personal opinion based on what I have. Everyone has their own preference. I love my fender, but I prefer my les Paul.

17. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Macon, GA
    You must have received one of the lightest LPBs ever made! I play a suped up Jaguar as my main bass, and I recently purchased the OSB LP. Even with the chambered body, I can tell a significant difference in weight. After the first 3 hour gig with the LP, my body hurt like it hadn't in years, and never has using my Jaguar bass. I agree wit you and attest to the fact that contrary to belief, these basses have no dive problem whatsoever- at least that I've experienced. All in all, I'm in love with this bass. It's fun to play and sounds beefy. It will never replace my Jag, but it's a great studio bass and fun to swap in and out during sets.