1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Les Paul "oversized" Bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigsnaketex, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    Has anyone had any experience with a Gibson Les Paul Bass?

I have never seen one before but recently came across one - but it was in a store that was closed so I couldn't lay my greasy, tone inflecting fingers on it!

I must admit, that to have one in the cherry sunburst to match my Les Paul guitar would be pretty cool.......but somehow I was thinking in my heart of hearts that it may be novelty for that very reason.

So if anyone has played one of these things, please let me know your impressions!!

2. Good tone, extremely heavy weight.

3. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    yea, my Les Paul Standard weighs in about 11.6 lbs so I'm sure if they "oversized" it, it would be much heavier!

4. When I was younger I was of the school that the heavier the guitar or bass, the better tone. At 51, I feel the opposite!

5. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I would agree with that theory......on both sides of the argument.....for I too, at age 51 second that emotion!!

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I had one for a while. Hated it. To chunky for me. Brought it back to the store where I bought it and traded it for my Music Man Sterling.

7. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I just played a MM Sterling and fell in love with it. Do you like yours - like better than ice cream?

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the new les Paul OSB goldtop is one of the best looking basses that i've ever seen, and even though it's chambered to supposedly save weight, i'd own one right now if there weren't over 9 1/2lbs. so, i'm just going to build one of my own with some NOS gibson 34" scale bass necks that i bought a while ago. i just refuse to deal with an 11-12 lb bass anymore.

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Please don't misunderstand. I think the look of the LP is awsome. The neck just felt chunky and fat. By the way, loved my Sterling, but hated the P-up position.

10. It is good looking but that's about where it ends for me. It's heavier than hell it isn't the greatest tonally (to dark for me) or the easiest to play due to the neck size (fat). It's expensive and actually kind or uncomfortable to play. With the possible exception of the Firebird and Ripper I don't know that Gibson has ever conquered basses the way they have guitars.

11. coolet5

coolet5

Feb 12, 2003
    Hey John,

Please let us into the process when you start building the lighter version.
    I would definitely would consider a Les Paul bass if it would have been lighter including a white pickguard for a classic look.
    :bassist:

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've had everything in stock to build it for a while now, and as soon as i get some of my other build obligations completed, i'll start building it.

when i do, i'll probably start at thread on the process in the luhier's corner section.

13. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I tried out one of the Goldtops, and I agree: aesthetically it's a gorgeous bass. It's so beautiful that you want to love it.

From a playability standpoint it had some pro's and con's. The neck felt somewhat comparable to a P-bass in shape. And it felt good playing with the bass resting on your knee. But the weight was totally a dealbreaker. It just felt too heavy to strap on and even play a 45 minute showcase gig.

My other gripe? The position of the rear pickup. It's just too far back. The neck pickup sounds great when it's solo'd, but the rear pickup is just too honky/nasal to enjoy when it's solo'd.

14. coolet5

coolet5

Feb 12, 2003
    yea I`m starting to develop a major GAS for this bass and was thinking of contacting JohnK before he posted here, to see if he can make a lighter version. Cant wait to see what he`s going to do with it.

Is the original bass has a major neck dive issues?

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Great sounding bass but heavy as hell and playing over the bridge PU sucks as the string tension is so high. Neck is definately more of a P feel as well. They do look great though.....

I have owned 60-70 basses and this is the heaviest I have owned excluding a 13lb T-40.

In any case, I love mine.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Mine is a regular LP standard with the chambered body and weighs just a bit over 10 pounds (on my bathroom scale)

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that's actually pretty reasonable, but i just can't play a 10lb'er for any real length of time on a gig anymore, so i'm going to try my best to make my custom LP goldtop stay in the 9lb flat region.

18. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    I'd been gassing for one since the new oversize body was introduced. Weight is an issue to me also. Living 1/2 way between NYC and Phila I can get to either market in less than an hour. I started playing store models to see if the sound was there and it was. I then started looking at shops in both markets weighing each instrument. I just used a battery operated portable scale that you hang the bass from. Some of the stores knew what I was doing, some thought I was nuts. I was surprised at the variation in weights. Very telling about the density and dryness of the blanks.
    Anyway, I found one that met my specs: under 10#. When I got it home I weighed it on my UPS scale and its 9.6#
    I've had discussions with Gibson about this and they acknowledge the variation in weight. Although they are out of the 400 each of the initial run they eluded to reintroducing it into the standard line this spring with a different fret board.
    When I heard that I immediately thought - Hmmmm could the original run have been built out of the fret board material they were raided over?? If so these would go down as the Les Paul Raid Bass.:)

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Wood does vary in weight, especially mahogany, which is typically a heavier wood, not as heavy as maple, Walnut or northern Ash

20. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Macon, GA
    I just ordered mine today from Zzounds. Got their last new GT OSB for $1250 shipped- a STEAL! I actually called Gibson to ask them a few questions about these. I asked about the production run numbers, and they could not give me an exact number other than to say "about 150 per finish". My next question was about the boards and the raid. All they could say was "We paid a hefty fine, and most of the Madagascar Rosewood was confiscated, however they did not confiscate finished instruments with the components already utilized. We can not determine utilization for individual instruments." I think you may be on to something there;)