Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Les Paul recording pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazz66, Mar 1, 2006.

1. jazz66

jazz66

Feb 15, 2006
    About 40 years ago I bought the complete electronics, and I do mean complet including pots and knobs, pickups for a Gibson Les Paul recording bass with the idea of building a bass for myself. I haven't done it yet but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about starting with where I can purchase a neck and body to help me get this done. Or if anyone is interested in buying the electronics for there owne building project. If anyone is interested in helping me out I can sent photos.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  3. jazz66

jazz66

Feb 15, 2006
    I can get some photos to you in a day or two. Any idea of what there worth?

4. jazz66

jazz66

Feb 15, 2006
    Are you really interested in buying ar heleping me build. Either would be OK with me just let me know. If I don't build I want them to go to somone who will build their own bass, not just sell them off to the highest bidder for resale.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    let me PM you...

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm working on a project like this myself. I bought empty pickup covers and the mounting rings, and then an 80s long scale Gibson LP bass neck that need a fingerboard and final shaping. I also have a set of inlays, including the logo, from a '70s LP Custom that I'm going to use.

My plan is to make a LP Triumph inspired bass, complete with the low Z pickups which I intend to wind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The red bobbins are actually from the LP Recording guitar, but the pickup cover is from the Triumph.

I got these from a seller on eBay. She doesn't have any listed now, but may again, as she has had them for sale several times. Obviously you don't need the pickups. The neck is a long scale, and maple, but I didn't need an exact copy, and since I'm making the pickups myself, they will be to spec but might be a little different.

Greatdealz1967 items - Get great deals on Guitar Parts, Switches items on eBay Stores!

7. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Keep us posted on that one, David. The Triumph could be considered one of the earliest high-tech bases in production, no?

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think so! I kick myself for not picking one up when they were dirt cheap.

Whenever I see the pickups and electronics for sale it makes me wonder what became of the original bass. Probably has some Jazz bass pickups on it! That's a crime if you ask me.

I remember getting a job back in the late 70s, someone brought me a Ripper and had me put in DiMarzio model Ps! I kept the Ripper pickups.