Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson LP Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5 String, Sep 24, 2005.

1. 5 String

5 String

Aug 25, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It just occured to me, that on the Gibson website, the LP Standard Bass' picture shows what looks like a stop-bar tailpiece & a "Nashville" style bridge. The write-up about the bass on the same page states it uses a 3 point tailpiece, the same as the Epiphone LP does. Is one superior to the other, & if I were to buy one, which would be better?

Thanks much
    Gary

"I'm going where the Southern cross the Dog"

2. What you see in the picture is what the bass actually has. Gibson will probably never get the datasheets on the basses right because they just dont care about the basses.

About the bridge, The only thing I can see as an advantage to the stoptail peice is that it seems to be more adjustable. Compared to the Thunderbirds and EB's (SG reissue for the stupid newbs). I supect you can fine tune it more than the 3 point, And maybe it has more sustain since, But im not very familiar about the stop tails, I hope this helped.

3. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    The one really annoying thing about the 3-points is that they are no fun ot adjust. To get everyting perfect you need to have the base level with the strings, or any intonation adjustment will thow your height off. This means you always turn two screws (front and back) for any string height adjustment. Also, the intonation adjustment is at the front, under the strings.