1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson neck issues.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ampegfuzz, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    :help: I have a 76 gibson grabber that i love to death. But it seems like every time i go out and play a show it feels like the neck finish is coming off. I know thats "probably" not the case but it feels like little dirt balls form in my fretting hand every time i play the thing. It's not my hands being dirty. I dont know if the finish is coming off or old cleaners/polish like wax(that i didn't put their) are rubbing off. Is their a way of makeing it stop doing that (without sanding)? Or a cleaner that won't build up so the problem does'nt come back?

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Does it currently have a gloss finish or a satin finish?

If it's satin, I'd say get a really soft scotchbrite pad and some naptha and wipe it down. If it's a gloss finish, I wouldn't recommend it, as it *could* take some of the gloss off...

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

It's the laquer finish that make that happen. I don't know why, but it does.

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    probably just dirt/grime... a good wipedown with a cloth damp w/ naptha would probably help. If not, then a *really* light going over with a 0000 scotchbrite pad damp w/ naptha

5. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    thats seems a bit harsh. It sounds like it might work but if it ate thru the finish i would have to kill myself.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Are you sure it isn't dead skin cells and dried sweat? I get that sort of buildup on my basses and have to clean it after practice all the time.

7. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT

Aug 22, 2007
    BROOKLYN
    my G3 does the same thing.dude its dirt sweat and chicken grease,just wipe it down after you play.

8. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    i wipe and i wipe and i wipe!!!!! never stops. il wipe in the middle of a song and it still comes back. its driving me nuts. it will do it even if im not sweating and hands washed. i palyed it last night and i could feel it on their. their has to be something to do.

9. try cleaning with some alcohol and a wipe it after that, uh?

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Naptha won't dissolve or mark any finish including nitro so it's safe to use. I'd avoid alcohol though if that's a nitro finish. Alcohol will damage nitro for sure. I don't know what's on that Gibson.

11. I would say it's sweat from your hands.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021