Gibson News

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GrapeBass, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic Designer: Yorkville Sound
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Change "News" to "Speculation" and we're good. Maybe Guitar Center will finally pay their bills and bail Gibson out. lol

JRA and charlie monroe like this.
  3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    don't we need "Gibson rumour mill" mega thread at this point?

Michedelic likes this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Being a business guy I study what works in business. One thing that I keep seeing over and over is that older established business models have a really difficult time adapting their business model to one that meets the demands of the 21st century. Just look at any government institution. In an instant Information Age, you are lucky to get any answers from them in three weeks or better...... Being an old Gibson RD guy I been following a thread about the new RD reissue. @mistergoats has given a very thorough and insightful look at his experience with the new RD he laid out some serious coin for. Brand new high dollar bass and he has been chasing a buzz in the electronics that were “certified” to be quality checked. He has been much more forgiving with the issue than I fear I would have been..... I hope Gibson has the foresight to get their act together and market with 21st century standards. The world won’t slow down for them.... Or me either, dangit.

6. Didn't they make a movie about Gibson?

hb98jk7.jpg

JRA, mikewalker and nixdad like this.
  7. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    The story was picked up by a number of publications, like Variety, today. There are some significant issues: Gibson went on a buying spree. They tried to branch out into pro audio and bought up companies like Onkyo (including Pioneer), TEAC, Cerwin Vega, and the electronics division of Philips. Interest rates on debt are creeping up. I think the key question here is, would it be a chapter 7, 11, or 13 bankruptcy? If they seek bankruptcy protection, will it be like the airlines who keep operating in bankruptcy, or will the debtors take over, or would it be a liquidation?

8. mistergoats

mistergoats

Jun 24, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    We Canadians tend to be too polite. :D

Follow up to that - I've had to send the bass back to the Gibson distributor across the country (I'm in Vancouver, BC and the rep is in Ontario, about 4,000 kms away) and I'm looking at about a month before I get it back.

I think it's gall or arrogance or something that there's an actual analog photograph of that bass in the case with with the bass, showing it's being checked. There are levels on the computer showing it's tested perfectly and it's sitting beside an amplifier. If that bass was ever hooked up to an amp, that hum would have been completely and immediately noticeable.

The shop technician at L&M tested it and the grounding was fine if you touched any part of the bass aside from the passive/active switch, but effectively, it was not grounded properly somewhere in the PCB circuit.

The end result is that I'll have to wait roughly a month for the bass to be shipped back and forth across the country to have the PCB active circuit replaced or re-grounded.

I've wanted an RD for a very long time but the vintage ones are out of my price range in the $3K-4K range. This bass, at just over $2K, is the more affordable option, but has already left me with a bad taste. I love the bass, I just expect it to work properly from the factory, especially if they are going to brag about it with a photo included in the case of the instrument being tested.

GregC and Aberdumbie like this.
  9. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I am NOT an official rep of Yorkville Sound but I have been working there for over 30 years. I do not work in the Guitar QC department but I do know the people who do. (I work in the engineering department and don't deal with distributed products etc.). They inspect ALL guitars and basses that pass through the doors and perform an additional Quality Control layer that is NOT offered by Gibson themselves. The areas feature temperature and humidity control and all are set up and plugged into amplifiers.

It's unfortunate to hear how long that this would take especially witnessing the dedication of the whole company to customer service. Customer service has always been a priority and I've witnessed it on ALL level.. From Jack Long all the way down to our people building and shipping.

I think you would be happy sending it to a Canadian depot rather than down to the US where you'd be stuck with fees and possibly even CITES!

Good luck with your issues and I hope all works out.

mistergoats likes this.
  10. mistergoats

mistergoats

Jun 24, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Hey GrapeBass,

The crew at L&M are excellent, don't get me wrong. The bass department took me upstairs to the techs who looked at it right away. After a bunch of bench tests, there was nothing further they could do without wrecking the Gibson warranty, so we made the decision together to send it back.

Keep in mind the enclosed photograph came from the Gibson Nashville plant. If there is an extra level of testing that happens at Yorkville, that means two sets of trained ears and eyes missed a glaring, obnoxious buzz coming out of a moderately expensive instrument. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence as a purchaser.

Here's a crap photo I had on my phone of the photo of the bass included in the case:

Bass Pic.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Matt Liebenau and GrapeBass like this.
  11. I’m not associated with anyone, sometimes not even myself, but it is possible that the bass was ok in testing and something happened in shipping. There’s the occasional postal or UPS emplyee here in the States, anyway, that can, occasionally, be less than gentle.

On the other hand, the RD’s are some of my favorites from Gibson. The first two bass bodies I built were based off of a tracing of a friends RD Artist so I hope it all gets worked out and she becomes a keeper.

mistergoats likes this.
  12. mistergoats

mistergoats

Jun 24, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Ya man, one of my first thoughts was that something happened in shipping. The bass came straight from Gibson in the shipping box fully sealed. I opened it myself. Anything could have happened to it between Nashville and Vancouver.

That's cool you made an RD shaped body! And thanks for the well-wishes - she's gonna be my main bass when she gets back!

13. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
  14. mistergoats

mistergoats

Jun 24, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Does anyone else find it weird that the 6-month CFO was named Bill Lawrence? The same as, oh you know, Bill Lawrence who designed pickups for Gibson in the 70's?

bholder likes this.
  15. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
  16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, I noticed that too.

mistergoats likes this.
  17. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    or is it this guy? A weatherman and a kids show host.

Bill Lawrence talks Tiny Talent Time - CHCH

mistergoats likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pull quote from the article....
    "As a quick reminder, Gibson has 100 brand names in its roster including Epiphone, Dobro, Valley Arts, Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Slingerland, Maestro, Baldwin, Hamilton, Chickering and Wurlitzer.

Its audio brands include KRK Systems, TASCAM, Cakewalk, Cerwin-Vega!, Stanton, Onkyo, Integra, TEAC, TASCAM Professional Software, and Esoteric."

The vast majority of these brands should be shut down altogether or sold off to entities that will take them and run with them.

The acoustic piano business is all but dead. Get out of it now. That takes out Baldwin, Hamilton, Chickering and Wurlitzer.

Gibson era Valley Arts, Steinberger, Kramer and, Tobias have so few fans it isn't even funny. Gone. Nobody will care. (OK, two of you will care..... and the rest of us don't care that you care.)

The studio monitor market is flooded. Get out of KRK.

The vinyl and needles DJ business? Who even does that anymore??? Get out of Stanton.

Trim the fat. Quit trying to revive old ideas because one generation insists on it.

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

not a fan.