1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson ? or not Gibson Anyone recognise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samantha Mason, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Samantha Mason

Samantha Mason

Aug 18, 2019
    hello can I ask if anyone recognises this bass I saved from landfill . It has no headstock ( broken off). It looks like a Gibson but on the back the plate says made in Japan and I was under the impression Gibson necks weren’t replaceable? Can anyone advise me please ??

Attached Files:

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i don't see any gibson parts on that bass. look for a 60s/70s-era matsumoku-factory neck to bring it back to life. any brand will do :cool: e.g. teisco, kay, aria

3. Samantha Mason

Samantha Mason

Aug 18, 2019
    Thank you

jamro217 likes this.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yeah, it may take a while but you should be able to source a neck for that if you're really interested. I'd honestly clean it up, put it on the wall and look for something like a Greco knock off like it instead for what your investment might be.

[​IMG]

TolerancEJ, Winoman, Goad and 6 others like this.
  5. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’d be inclined to say an Aria EB-3 copy from the 70s. The pickguard has the notch for the metal palmrest. But the ‘staples’ on the bridge pickup are puzzling since every Aria I’ve seen had two rows of pole screws rather than the staple/screw arrangement that’s on yours. And you’re missing part of the bridge.

Definitely a Japanese knockoff of some flavor circa the “lawsuit era” back in the early 70s.

Cool find! It’d be more expensive in terms of the money and time required to try and make it playable unless you just feel like fooling around with it. That earlier suggestion for making it a headless conversion could be an interesting educational opportunity.

:)

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yup, all of this ^

It looks like it's gotta couple extra holes. Maybe somebody stuck a 3rd pickup in it at one point, put another thumb rest on it too.

It's a neat piece. You could just get a functional neck and stick it on. With that and the bridge you'll spend close to, or slightly more, than you could sell it for. A headless kit is a slick idea, would probably have to raise the bridge to make it work. Again, not a cheap thing.

It's a cool find, that era MIJ stuff tends to be well constructed. That being said it could be a cool end table or lamp (the broken headstock does lean towards lamp... :))

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A broken neck is a Gibson trademark. I’d argue it’s authentic on that point alone. ;-)

gungrog, Miles_ONeal, rodak and 25 others like this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Good luck with that bass
    And welcome to TB! :)

10. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

@GretschWretch might be able to nail down exactly what it is.

Did you you take the pups off and look for any identifying markings?

Same with the pots

Samantha Mason likes this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Oh sorry!

@Samantha Mason - A belated welcome to TB. Glad you could join us. :)

B-Mac, zon6c-f and jamro217 like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Bingo! That or moved it off the pickguard to the other side.

Here’s a period Aria with the palm rest:

8AA01BC0-786D-487B-B8A9-25EA16CEC04B.

You can see the bridge pup is different in this photo too.

13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Didn't realize it had a "palm rest" :D that definitely explains those holes and pickup-esque notch in the pickguard.

DJ Bebop and Samantha Mason like this.
  14. Samantha Mason

Samantha Mason

Aug 18, 2019
    Thank you so much for all the help . I’m going to refurb it myself as I’ve done a few electric guitars and a few bass guitars. So I’m going to see what I can find thank you ❤️

15. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Hello and welcome to TB. I agree with the others that suggest this is Japanese copy of a Gibson EB-3. If you decide to get another neck for this bass it will require a short scale 30 1/2" neck. Epiphone EB-O necks are bolt on and although the actual neck pocket of that body and neck butt may not be a perfect fit, you can make it work. What you will not be able to make work is putting a 34" scale neck on there. The bridge would have to be moved to accommodate the longer scale length. You may also consider repairing the headstock. Luthier's Corner (here on TB) is a forum where many gifted people hang out and are willing to help. They may be able to advise you on how to replace the headstock correctly. Hope this helps.

16. Samantha Mason

Samantha Mason

Aug 18, 2019
    Unfortunately I don’t have the headstock I literally have the body and neck . So no tuning pegs or anything. Il find something hopefully. Cheers

17. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Welcome, and good on you for rescuing the bass. I endorse the suggestion of mating of an Epi EB-0 surplus neck with the body of your bass. I've got an Electra EB-3 clone that has the double polepieces on the bridge pickup described by @40Hz. In the TB vernacular these are referred to as "Maxon" pickups. I too do not have a reference for staples on an EB style bass.

There are a bazillion EB-style clones from the seventies out there. What strikes me as distinctive about yours are the control knobs and the slot-head adjustable pole-pieces on the neck pickup. A great many of these basses have no adjustments on those poles.

If you've got time to kill maybe browse here?

lawsuit eb-3 copy - Google Search

18. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    It’s a lower end 70s made in Japan copy. The pickups alone were worth saving if for no other reason than folks like them and need replacements, that bridge pickup is used in a lot of cool basses. I had an aria hollow body with two pickups like that in it.

Cool find!

Winoman and Fender_Bender like this.
  19. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Not sure an Epi neck will fit. That pocket looks like it’s closer to the bridge than an Epi would be. Doesn’t hurt to try though. You might need to relocate the bridge, but honestly if you’re looking for a player I would ditch that bridge and bolt on an old BadAss anyway, which would let you position it correctly for the Epi neck.

Have you taken a DC resistance reading on the pickups yet?

20. Yep, we don’t even know if she plays or not. Likely only of use for the pickups, as getting it sorted out is likely more expensive than what it’s worth.

Rabidhamster likes this.