1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson RD Artist bass with no string through?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoizeFace, Sep 14, 2017.

1. NoizeFace

NoizeFace Supporting Member

May 5, 2015
    ADEDF8C3-B894-4E69-BD98-C220C9995451-13514-00000CA31DFE9CFA.jpeg I have the opportunity to purchase a Gibson RD Artist from someone locally. They say they've replaced the nut and restrung it lefty which is an easy fix but when I look at the pictures posted I see it isn't string through. Aren't these basses normally string through? Am I looking at a different model or a copycat bass? He's selling it for pretty cheap only 650.

Thanks!

2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    The RD I own is strung through the body. Mine is an RD Standard. But I have always held the RD series close to heart and paid attention to them over the years. I can't say I have seen any that are not strung through the body.

3. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I think it should definitely have through-body stringing. That one also looks like the pickups have exposed pole pieces which I've not seen on any RD basses (of course, that's only relevant if he claims they are the original pickups). Also, the pickguard doesn't seem to quite look like it should near the bottom of the bridge pickup and control knobs.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Can't find any pics online of one without the string-through. Definitely a red flag. Have you seen the headstock? Does it say gibson, and have a serial number? That should be the definitive way to confirm. If it doesn't I'd pass or try to get it really cheap

5. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    More pics would help if they are available.

6. NoizeFace

NoizeFace Supporting Member

May 5, 2015
    32775648-4A4A-4579-A3BA-67284BC69227-13514-00000CB409B76E77.jpeg

F80E3126-A012-4D79-AAE7-67860E874721-13514-00000CB40C0D76F9.jpeg

Here are the other two pics on the sale posting. I'm leaning towards passing on this one. I was really hoping it was legit. They are such cool basses.

7. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I am at work and these are the only two photos I have of my RD standard. The Gibson logo on the headstock looks legit to me. But there are too many other things that just don't pass the sniff test with me. Thing is, I am not an expert that can tell you what Gibson did or did not do over the years. It just doesn't feel quite right to me. The thru body strings are a big red flag. The pick ups aren't something I have seen on the RD series. I wish I had a front photo of my headstock. The fit and finish are immaculate. That doesn't appear to be the case on your photo but then that could be just regular wear too. The body and pick guard just don't seem exactly right to me either....... If it is marketed as a Genuine RD Artist, well I might have to let that one slip by......... If he will give you a shot of the back of the headstock you can very easily identify its legitimacy on several websites. Just not sure if I am allowed to post them here. Just Google it and it's easy enough to find.

RD1.jpg RD2.jpg

8. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    What a weird place to put a strap button

9. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Unless that is heavily modded, hev-o-lee modded, it's a fraud. Wrong pickups, wrong pick guard, no string through, and the headstock doesn't look right either.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah that headstock shape is totally wrong and non-gibson

zhollywood likes this.
  11. The fretboard extends too after the last fret far as well.

12. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Ashland, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Could that be the Krist Novoselic RI? The one that had JB pickups? I guess I could google it myself but what fun are forums without wild speculation?

Edit: Nope, that also had string through.

13. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    It's certainly an odd bass, the pickups and PG are not correct at all, and are likely modifications added much later, the headstock has the correct inlay but doesn't look quite right shape wise, although that may be the picture as well. The colors of the burst are correct and the while the photo isn't great the string through feature was obviously never there. Gibson is noted for many, many one off oddball basses (I've owned one, and have seen at least a dozen more ) produced over the years and this well could be one such bass.
    My take is that it was an RD that never got the string through feature and at a later was modified with different pickups and a new PG - Really a shame, as it was likely a one off.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The RD Standard and the Artist were all string-thru. Period.

Those also aren't Gibson's Mark V humbuckers - which are a huge part of the RD's signature sound. So even if the rest was real, it still wouldn't sound like an RD.

Whatever it is, it isn't a Gibson RD. So let's be polite and call it a "tribute."

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Aberdumbie and Duder like this.
  15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    With this many red flags...just walk, walk away from the bass...no...run...run Forest, run!

16. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I would never fault a person for building a bass to look like another. But to represent it as the real deal..... That's just wrong on too many levels.

Reedt2000 and ajkula66 like this.
  17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I think it's because the owner has it strung lefty and that offset body probably sits in a weird place without moving the button. just my .02

Reedt2000 likes this.
  18. Looks to be a copy to me.