Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson RD Artist Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davelowell, Sep 8, 2001.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    check out my newest score!

i made a trade with a great guy for this the other day, the only thing is, he said i need the original saddles which are a little taller. anyone have any or know where to get some?

thanks, dave

[​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Dave:). That's the best bass that Gibson ever made IMHO, and my favorite 4 stringer for rock. I wish that there was a 5 string version.:p

Does the preamp still work? How do you like the tone with the compressor engaged? One of my favorite bass tones of all time.

I wish that I had any idea where you could get saddles for the bridg, i have no earthly idea.

3. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks, i totally dig this bass. very heavy, but that is also how i describe the tone!!

not a fan of the compressor, but i like the expander. it is a little neck heavy and weird for me with the strap button on the back, since i am normally a fender guy. but too cool...

dave

4. Does that have effects built into it or something?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It has a Moog preamp built in, with a compressor and expander. Also has active bass and treble controls.

The compressor acts almost like a power booster. Your volume goes up noticeably when you turn it on.

6. Your best bet is to get with Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Co. www.vintagebass.com and ask him. He's a freak for these basses and if he doesn't have the saddles, will definitely know where to get them.

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks Hambone, but as a "pitter" i notice that he is busy stomping grapes. maybe when he is all finished up, don't know, but thought i would put out a flare.

thanks, dave

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i love that bass!

9. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks, barrosso.

dave

10. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    still looking for some original saddles. they are similar to t-bird saddles, but a little taller.

anybody?

dave