1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson RD Artist Pickups: Single Coils?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Apr 22, 2009.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I just resurrected and installed the original pickups from my RD Artist (minus all the useless MOOG circuit), and it looks like they're single coils?

Can anyone confirm this?

The pickups just have a ground wire, and one other wire coming out of the wax.

They're humbucker "shaped" (more square than rectangular), but they sure sound like single coils.

Who knew? I always thought they were HBs.

(Note: I'm talking about the first year RD Artist, not the follwing years where they came with jazz-bass-looking pups.)

2. Not to derail your thread( and I don't know the answer to your question) but I always thought the "useless Moog" preamp to be the only worthwhile reason to own the RD.
    Unless, of course, you dig the weight. Just my opinion.

Peace

3. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    By all means derail.

I LOVE the neck, and string spacing and feel of the RD. It's my all time favorite bass to play (standing up, not sitting), and I tend to write all of my best lines on it.

And I LOVE the weight. It's not heavy enough for me.

The moog circuit was the best radio I ever owned. I had my choice of 3 different radio stations to choose from during practice. Very annoying, but great to catch ball game scores between songs.

Since I'm not really an "active" guy, and the sound of the pre was so noisy, I didn't really start using (and loving) the bass 'til I dumped the pre.

Good question though.

4. Do you still have the preamp?

Peace

5. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    I do. I have it in a shoebox somewhere. It should all be there.

I kind of want to keep it together in case I ever want to restore it, or if I have a need for an active sound..., or one of my kids takes up the bass.

I can't see myself ever selling the bass since it looks like it was dragged behind a car. I only paid $300 for the bass. It's a road warrior.

Compared to some of the stuff out there today, the preamp is really nothing special... maybe just of interest to MOOG collectors, but not sonically relevant. Poor signal-to-noise ratio, really muffled the sound of the bass overall, horrible battery life, no passive bypass... all just for a treble boost and a bass boost.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong and there's some Moog "magic" I missed.

It would make sense that the pups were single coils now that I think of it, since there were no series/parallel options, or coil tap. Just tone options.