Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson RD bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Hey i was just wondering if anyone has a Gibson RD bass, or has had one and would be able to give me a review on one as i really like the sound of them but have never heard an honest opion on one. thanks.

2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    The model I had was the RD Custom, I think. It was loaded with electronics: both compression and expansion (?) (the opposite of compression), plus active EQ, if memory serves. I do remember it being significantly headstock-heavy, and would dive to the floor.

It was VERY heavy, but offered lots of tonal possibilities. I don't think I'd want to gigi with it (too heavy), but it would offer possibilities in ther studio.

It certainly was unlike any other bass I've ever owned.

3. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I gigged with an RD Artist for 9 years. Its heavy,(htat's one big chunk o' wood) but it hangs well IMO. Still sounds good- I used it recently while my main bass was laid up. Compression/expansion is crude by todays standards, and I seldom used them. I liked the active sound, and all was fine as long as I wasn't playing at an airport or truckstop (picked up alot of cb traffic in the 70's!) There is a HUGE difference between the RD and the RD Artist, so if you pick one up on ebay or whatever only get the Artist.

Larry