1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson RD style bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey all.

After seeing this thread...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526965

...i was wondering if anyone knew of any current makes of Gibson RD styled basses? I am not too 'in the know' with many of the various off brands.

The only thing i could find was the company First Act, and i sent them an e-mail because their basses seem to be custom made only (at least in the RD style that they call 'The Delgado') and there was no clear way to purchase one.

Any help would be much appriciated in helping this quest for vanity! :D

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    ESP makes a $2000 Der En Grey version

n500441212_301426_8280.

3. The really cool thing about the RD bass is the Moog electronics. So, if it's an RD you want, hunt out the real thing!

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Belts thicker than the bass strap is... ouch...

And isn't this like the 2 or 3rd thread about RD type basses in the past couple days? What got everyone started on the RD bass bug all of a sudden?

5. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Ask Adam Clayton.....

3349350794_a70681097b_m.

6. ESP Japan is strange because the folks they endorse only use the gear live. All the recorded stuff is done on other basses, which ESP then bases the signature bass off of. For example, Toshiya does have original Gibson RD basses that I am certain he has used to record his work with Dir En Grey. He can also be seen in really earlier work with Fender Jazz basses, Killer basses (a Japanese company), a Lakland 55-02 (which I saw him use live), and even a Rickenbacker.

I played the Edwards version of Toshiya's RD copy and it was heavy! It had a really deep tone. Not sure how that compares to the real deal, but that's how it was when I tried it in Shibuya.

Sorry about the big digression :bag:

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I thought the above picture was a female...

8. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    J rock has a glam thing going

07505884f8e375f9.

9. not so much anymore, but it still exists

10. cause they are sexy :D

as usual... even if i like a classic bass like that, no one makes it in a 5 string.. so its next to worthless to me. shame.. i really dig the body.

ive played the artist RD guitar, and the electronics were kinda strange, but very usable

11. That's it.

Once my Bootsy Starburst Custom project is completed I am going to build up an RD Custom ... I might have to do some saving, but I am putting the plan into action.

Word.

12. PS: here is a walkaround of one of the Dir en Grey Toshiya "Edwards" basses:

13. thanks for the replies!

Grrr... such an awesome bass design for so much money (though, with moog electronics i can understand...)

If Epiphone made an RD styled bass i would pick it up in a heartbeat!... i at LEAST wish ESP would bring those basses over here!

14. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Question about the Moog electronics. How did they sound? Were they different from other pickups in terms of sound or what?

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It'd be fantastic if Warmoth would make them.

Hoodywah likes this.
  16. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist.php

I have one, and it's got the most versatile sound I've ever found in a bass. From extremely, unusably bright through the thumpiest mud you've ever experienced, and everything in between. :) It'd be perfect if it was a little lighter and if the neck didn't feel like a 2x4. :)

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That's one of the reasons that I have never sold some of my stuff to finance one, because, as much as I love the RD Artist, it only has 4 strings, and would not ever be my main player. Sell two fours and a five to finance another four? Not the brightest idea, for somebody who doesn't play a four much.:meh: But I would still love to have one!

18. srsly. someone needs to start a company that only builds 5 string models of basses that have never been made that way. i want a 5 string G3 and a 5 string rick (its been made, but its REALLY hard to find).

id take an RD while i was at it :D

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

5 string RD with electronics that are faithful to the tone of the original? Yep, I would be all over that too. I would sell some stuff for one of those.:bassist:

20. They have an all original RD bass for sale at the local music shop near me. (Pete's Music in Temecula for anyone in the area) it needs some work, some of the hardware seems to have been beaten on and some screws are missing. But it sounded ungodly and looks awesome. It's $1500 or so so there's no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I can afford it. But I want it bad. I just happened to see it there immediately after reading about the RD series in a book on the history of the electric guitar so I was excited. One of the workers there said I was the only one who showed any interest in it.