1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gibson ripper for $102.50?!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 21, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
  2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    6 days left. :meh:

3. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I bet it fetches a grand. The only reason it's even at $108 right now is because of the dummies who couldn't wait 5 days and 11 hours to start bidding!:eyebrow::D

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The way Ebay works is you set a "starting bid" of any amount, and then people bid up to the maximum they think it's worth. On an unpopular item, it is very risky to put a low starting bid with no "reserve" (a reserve is the minimum price you'd sell it for). But for a popular item like that bass, there is almost no risk, and it will sell for whatever high price you normally associate with that bass.

There is nothing diabolical going on- just look at that same auction after it closes, what price it ends up selling for.

5. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    I don't think you quite understand how an auction works...

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It's not likely to sell at that price. Heck, I'd lurk until the last 20 seconds and hope to snipe it.

7. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    no. i dont understand how ebay works. thats all. i would understand if it was a live auction right in front of me.most people in the area i live in scorn ebay so ive been led under them.leaving me with no knowledge of the website.but now i understand considering the last few comments before your own.otherwise, i thought that anything that is put on ebay for a set price does not change at all. i guess its all just idiocracy left on me:rollno:

8. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    anyone on here just bid in the last two minutes?? its already at $108 lol:eek:

9. Just keep watching. 6 days is a long time. I haven't followed this type of bass in the past, but if this is any type of antique or rare basse, the final price will usually be pretty close to value. Sometimes a bargain slips through, but mostly on the shorter term auctions.

10. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    And if you were hoping for that auction to stay at a low price, posting it here was a TERRIBLE idea.

11. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I'm sure he's just that confident in the amount the item will fetch.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The thing with ebay is you can run things as an auction, or you can post a 'buy it now' price, or a mix of an auction with a secret reserve price also with the option of 'buy it now'.
    You can set how many days (up to a week) of how long you want it online.

All the high rollers wait til the last 30 seconds to start throwing down big numbers. The snipers will hit it during the last 3-4 seconds.

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    great looking ripper.

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The bad part of listening to those people is, not all the items sold on ebay are high dollar items.
    You can find $5 dollar trinkets, t-shirts, kids toys, lots of low-dollar whatever all day long.
    If you're into vintage gear though, it has become pretty much the only place to find replacement vintage original parts. So it might be a good idea to get some experience on what it takes to win some bids.

15. hahaha basicaly.

16. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Yea posting that auction here was a bad idea but its sure going to make the sellers day maybe at the finale price. ^^

I am an eBay buyer pro you might say. The trick is to wait till the last 5 seconds and then snipe it. If you put in a bid early on in the auction that tips people off about the item and also gives other bidders a shot at trying to outbid you. So if its something you really really really want, you wait till the last few seconds and then take it. Its cheaper for you in the long run that way then to bid out on it early on in the auction.

Most auctions generally don't get bids now until the last day its running, sometimes not until the last hour its up. And then sometimes as wacked as eBay had gotten with the categories now, some items get listed in wrong categories and you can walk away with some killer stuff for opening bid which most time is far less then what the item is worth.

17. Shhhh....you're giving away the secret:)

18. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008

yeah i was'nt hoping to buy it. thats the thing. i would'nt even have enough money even if i was planning on buying it. basically i'm broke. so i knew the second i typed in gibson ripper on there that i was'nt going to buy anything.i've done it before...the only reason why i posted it is because of the rediculously low selling price it had when i found it.now if i knew in the first place that the price was going to eventually go up i wouldnt have posted it at all. now everyone on talkbass thinks im a gigantic idiot.:meh:

but my main point is that i wasn't planning on buying it. i dont care who gets it,good for them. and if some one on here gets it than great! but i was just looking not shopping. :eyebrow:

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Oppsie :ninja: :D

I dont consider you an idiot in the slightest. eBay is weird to figure out if you don't know the pattern of how bidding works there and the unspoken 'system' users have developed over the years. Don't be hard on yourself man. If its any consolation, lord knows Ive stuck my foot in my mouth I would imagine here more times than Id care to even think about. Its the only way to learn something you know...ask and comment even if it does turn out to be something wrong. People will be more then happy to jump in and 'edumicate' you :p and most are pretty nice about it. Don't worry about it. ^_^

20. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It's an auction. You set a low starting price in the hopes that people will keep bidding up the price and eventually sell it for big bucks. Unfortunately, a lot of bidders on eBay jump in early and bid the price up way too high, way too early in the process.