1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Ripper & Grabber

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mooney, Feb 29, 2008.

1. mooney

mooney

Feb 9, 2005
    Quakertown, PA
    does the Grabber sound as good as the Ripper? or how about the G-3?
    can anyone share an opinion about how these compare?
    thanx!

2. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
  3. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    jeez, steal my interweb thunder! :D

4. mooney

mooney

Feb 9, 2005
    Quakertown, PA
    thanx for the links! that will def help, but if anyone else can also speak from personal experience i'd really appreciate it!!!

5. farfadet

farfadet

Jan 26, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    I'm just coming back from Queens of the stone age show they made in Paris and the bassist was playing a grabber :). Sounded good and this bass is so rock'n roll!
    >

6. My school has a Gibson Ripper, and its one of the best basses I've played :bassist:

Shame it's been so beaten up over the years :(

7. Haha...Mooney, it's calling you... :D

They are great sounding basses...I can get any type of sound out of mine, from a fretless sounding low to very ripping funk...great all around bass...thin too...and light....looks cool too.

Rip2.

Rip1.

8. I think I am going to get some screws this weekend and finally put the bridge cover on...will look even better I think....

9. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I used to have a Ripper, i thought it was horrible, it just sounded, dead.

I have a grabber and its not much better. i will be selling that too.

10. really? I have played just about every kind of bass there is and the Ripper is one of the most versatile basses (in sound) that I have played....

11. RDW

RDW

Feb 5, 2008
    RDU
    I had a G3 15 years ago that was a great instrument. Played it for years in a band and got rid of it only because I got a deal on another bass that I still own.... but wish I still had the G3.

Great tone due to the three position toggle to select pickups. one of the best sounding passive basses I've owned.

Pickups were kind of flimsy due to their mounting only to the pickguard, but a great-sounding bass that was pretty solid and looked very cool...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, from those clips, it can give you any thin, clanky sound you want. Awful. Just awful. It's not hard to see why Peter Cetera hated these basses. Then again, what other basses have you played?

13. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    IMO, the best of that lot was the G-3. It had a rather interesting snarl to it when you played it aggressively. I owned one for about a year and did break one of the pickups out of its mounting position when slapping down close to the bridge(I know...). Still, there's not one of the lot that I would pick over a good P or J.

14. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

The Ripper was either boomy or thin and tinny.
    Grabber=Boom, or thin

15. To each his own...my main bass is a Modulus Q5 fyi.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't own one right now, but I think L9-S Rippers sound great too...and there's no question I've owned alot of high-end stuff. I've never played a 'dead' one yet either, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Much like Spectors because of the all-maple construction, they are generally bright and sustain-y. I find Rippers to be very growly like a nice Jazz, make a great slap tone, and can get a very fat dub sound all by the vari-tone switch.
    I borrowed one a couple of weeks ago, and even with frets worn to near-fretless level, it still punched like a hot knife through butter between two guitarists pushing 200 tube watts.

17. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    had a Grabber for a while -- absolutely LOVED how it sounded, but didn't like the way it played. 3-pt bridge wouldn't allow for great action adjustment, and the neck was wavy even after extensive truss rod work.

When dealing with Gibbys of this era, my advice is try before you buy.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of the three, the G3 sounded most like a bass.

19. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    One thing you can get with a Ripper that you can't get with a Grabber (or, as I understand it, a G3) is the two pickups in series in phase, which is one of the four options on the rotary switch. And, coincidentally, my favorite---in that position, that bass punches like George Foreman.

I tell ya, looking at the Ripper wiring diagram on Gibson's web site was a revelation.

Oh, and if you have your amp set for a Fender and plug the Ripper into it, well, of course it's going to sound boomy. Likewise, if you have it dialed in for the Ripper and plug in a P-bass, it's not going to sound its best. But it's not that difficult to get a great, balanced tone from a Ripper.