Gibson Ripper II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mccartneyman, Aug 5, 2009.

1. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I am a fan of the original Gibson Ripper, so I was excited to see they're offering the Ripper II. However, $3,700? Anyone else think this is excessive?

2. Its ridiculous, I love the tone of the gibson basses..Mike Dirnt and Krist Novoselic come to mine when I think of that tone!...well many others do too but those are my favorites.

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    It should retail for around $1500 or more -

Not a bad price for a US made set neck bass. The pickups alone are $125 or so each from Seymour Duncan.

4. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    They changed the pickup wiring---this one has six options instead of four, but none of them is the "both pickups in series" option from the original ripper, that sounds so thick and punchy!

5. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Even at 40% off MSRP, it'd be $2200. A little steep. Guess I'll keep looking to snag a black original with the ebony fingerboard. Can't understand why they wouldn't include the original pickup switching options but add more, although I almost never used two of the four on the original bass.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Its excessive because its Gibson. They shot themselves in the foot like Ampeg did awhile back when making a reissue that costs more than the original.

7. epiphone should make it so i could afford it.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Epiphone made two, buy one, Change the pickguard, spend $300 on the Duncan pups and call it a day

9. Keld

Keld

Jul 9, 2009
    PDX
  10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
  11. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I used to own a 75 Ripper, that I bought brand new with case back then, and I liked mine. The quality was good, contrary to comments from some folks who never owned or played them on a steady basis. The Ripper II, even as a quality built version is not a 3700 dollar bass by far imo, nor would I pay 1800 bucks for one; when the same money could get you two decent vintage Rippers and you'd probably have some change left over if you wheel and deal right! I could see the Ripper II as maybe a 1500 dollar bass in the same ball park as a new MIA Fender Jazz. Alas, Gibson has this a limited edition model, and it's why they have the high asking price tag. It's also why it seems that there is some discounting going on. I guess folks like the old Rippers, but not enough to spend the kind of bread that Gibson thought they could get for this limited edition version.

12. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    i remember dirnt and novaselic using the version with the pointed headstock?...

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    $3700 gets you a sadowsky or a MIA Lakland.

That price is for a ripper? A bass that most of us rejected out of hand in the '70s???

That's insane. But that's Gibson.

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Those would have been the Grabber models, which included the G-3. The Ripper L9S model always kept the traditional Gibby open Bible/book headstock style as the old timers refer to the look.

15. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I agree with you on the pricing, but a lot of bass players played Rippers in the 70's, including the likes of Greg Lake and Ralphie Armstrong of Jon Luc Ponty fame, on a G-3 which was part of the series. I know I saw a lot of them in use back then, in bars and clubs and on concert stages. I owned a Ripper and it was better executed than a lot of the poly drenched offerings coming from Fender in that era imho. I found mine to be a good instrument for the money, and so did a number of other bass players back then. They weren't the greatest thing scince sliced bread, but they didn't suck either.

16. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree -- the Ripper was and is still the only Gibson bass I have ever liked. I have tapes of it and it sounded great -- punchy yet with a lot of bottom, and the PUP selection options gave me the perfect settings I needed to get a good sound with a Mutron III. I bought it because my '59 P bass had such terrible buzzing from the pickups that it was unusable in some clubs. Used it the night I bought it and never went back to the Fender. It was my main bass for six years, until I got a Steinberger L2. Add Rick Danko and Peter Cetera to those who played a Ripper. I can't remember what I paid for mine in 1975, but it was far less than $1,000. Wish I hadn't sold it.

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Dirnt used a G3. Novoselic used a ripper, RD artist, and thunderbird.

18. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Okay, that clears it up!
    Thanks!

19. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I have a 1976 Gibson Ripper Fretless Bass that sat in a garage for years now all covered in mold and no electronics or bridge. I need to find parts for this and restore this and the only thing I can find is the pickguard.

20. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Seymour Duncan makes a direct replacement for the pickups, and I think all-parts had a 3-point Gibson style bass bridge. As far as the electronics, it's not my strongest subject. Give me a couple of days to some research, I know a guy who may have the fully wired harness and pickguard laying around his shop...I'll see what I can do.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021