1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Ripper - modified fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BASSDROID, May 12, 2011.

1. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Guest

Aug 22, 2007
    Closet cleaning continues.

Here is a 1975 Gibson Ripper that has been professionally modified to fretless. The body is alder and the neck is maple. The original maple fingerboard was replaced with a fretless ebony board complete with fret markers. The fingerboard is in great condition with only minimal surface wear, and does not need leveling or dressing.

This is an awesome players bass. There are numerous scratches and dents on the body front and back. There is some buckle rash on the back as well. I sanded the finish off the back of the neck because I prefer the feel of bare wood. This is a very smooth and comfortable neck - no grab from that pesky nitro cellulose finish!

The truss rod turns both ways and the electronics work as they should. The Varitone switch is a little noisy when switching between positions, and there is a bit of ground hum under certain conditions. Nothing serious. The Truss rod cover is from a later model Ripper and the pick guard is aftermarket, but correct for the bass. The bridge cover is an expertly made reproduction, exact in every detail. Strap buttons are by Jim Dunlop.

This Ripper is currently set up with medium high action and and old set of GHS Brite Flats, but there is plenty of leeway to adjust it however you like. There is no case, but I can include either a gig bag or a hardshell for a few dollars extra.

Asking price for bass alone: $650
    with old gig bag: $675
    w/ hardshell case, good cond: $725

Bass will be professionally packed in bubble wrap and foam and shipped in a sturdy box.

Cash only - no trades.
    DSC07408.
    DSC07408_2.

2. krustwell

krustwell

May 18, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    found a catalog entry for this model here , but it doesn't mention the nut width. can you tell us that? also, what is the "4 position transfer switch"? lastly, do you have any clips?

thanks!

3. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Guest

Aug 22, 2007
    Width at the nut is approx 1 and 9/16"

There are sound clips on the Fly Guitars website. You'll find a sound clip for each position on the Varitone switch along with an explanation of each position. I don't have any clips of my bass, but these aren't far off.
    Here they are: 1977 Gibson Fretless Ripper

Also, regarding the Varitone: the settings on my bass do not correspond with the description. The settings are the same, just located at different positions on the Varitone. My bass is set up as follows:
    Position 1. both pickups in series
    Position 2. back pickup only
    Position 3. both pickups in series, out of phase
    Position 4. both pickups in parallel

4. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    PMd

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Pics of the action and the back of the neck

6. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    What is the string spacing at the bridge on these?

7. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Guest

Aug 22, 2007
    On hold, local sale pending.

8. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Guest

Aug 22, 2007
    Local sale fell through. But due to improved employment prospects, I'm going to pull this one off the market for now. Thanks to all for the interest!

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    A fretless Ripper... there's something you definitely don't see every day.

I would bet with the right combination of volume settings, strings and techinique this thing can come surprisingly close to copping the sound of an upright.

10. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Guest

Aug 22, 2007
    And you would win that bet. It does sound mighty fine!

11. preggios

preggios

Aug 26, 2013
    Is your Ripper still for sale? It looks like you listed it for sale 5 years ago but it doesn't say that you sold it.