1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Ripper restore or junk it??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by John S.Ritche, May 11, 2010.

1. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
    I have a Gibson Ripper,and well It's a MAJOR project,The body is cracked in 2,Yes it is in 2 pieces,the neck is not original and neither is the hardware.My ? is should I try and repair it or just junk it? If i do repair I plan on doweling and gluing body back together and buyin' a warmoth LP neck replace as much of the unoriginal hardware with OG hardware(i found some stuff on Ebay) I do love this bass but should I spend $600 bucks on something that could just be junk?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    It would be a great learning project if you have the tools and skill to complete. Very few here would discourage taking this project, so I'll say go for it,

3. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
    Thank You!,I will have to take pics and post progress on this.I wasn't quite sure if the body could be fixed but after seeing some repairs on the guitar garage I now know anything is possible.The neck it has, is about as big as a baseball bat and has a "reverse" Ricenbacher headstock shape.

4. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Your gain from this will be the experience of having done it. If the neck is not original the salvage job is only as valuable as you want it to be. It probably has little if any exchange value after you restore it to playability.

5. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
    I'm really not looking to Resell or make any money on it,I just did't want to spend a bunch of money and have it sound like shyte

6. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Question of balancing the beans: it might have better value in terms of sound, time invested, resale value, aesthetics, etc if you went out and got a replacement ripper style body. Not sure if Warmoth make one.

7. Hi.

Body in two pieces is no problem really. The Firebird I have had the neck broken from the body, headstock broken off from the neck and the body in three pieces. 15 years since I repaired it and still going on strong.

Sounds like a great project, have fun.

Regards
    Sam

8. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
  9. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Look at stew mac, those necks were routed for 1 way truss, and go from there

10. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    the body is the only original part so that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Like others have said, if you want it for yourself and not to sell, then yes go for it and post your progress! Sounds like a pretty cool project.

11. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
    Enlighten me on "stew mac"?

12. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
  13. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
    YES!!! I totally want it for myself!!! I'm NEVER gonna sell this bass after i fix it!!! I'm Totally stoked on finding an original NOS neck for it too!!!I just want to find a fingerboard and a pattern to drill the tuner holes!! anyone???:confused::confused:

14. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
  15. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    great website really. i got most of my crap from there

16. John S.Ritche

John S.Ritche

May 11, 2010
    SE Portland
    Ok,so I've been thinking of finding a used Epiphone EB-3 to part out and use the parts for my Ripper build,like the bridge tuners selector switch pots finger board etc...Is this feasible??

17. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    no, EB 3 is a completely different beast, keep on ebay and craigs list for Ripper/grabber parts. Rd Artist stuff even, these are the basses you can salvage proper parts for this build from. T-birds too.