1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Ripper time machine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Templar, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

2. Lovely! Reverb's asking price is not lovely.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It's not "Reverb's asking price", it's a music store in Texas:
    Strait Music: Austin, Texas Full Line Music Store

Reverb is just a marketplace. They have a very things they sell direct, but pretty much everything on the site is from stores and private sellers.

Gaolee, guy n. cognito and SunnBass like this.
  4. Thanks for setting me straight. I did buy one thing -- a pickup -- off Reverb years ago. But my impression is that, like Stew-Mac, the prices on Reverb are creeping up, up, up.

5. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    The ad has a "make offer" option which signals the seller will take less. I can see this going in the high teens, which is reasonable, imho, for a vintage NOS Gibson.

6. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I remember when you couldn't give these things away.

7. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Looks like it's in a rare colour too, at least according to Wikipedia.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

One word: Wow!

If it's real* it's extremely rare. And not just for being NOS. Supposedly only 5 or 6 cherrybursts were ever made (so the story goes) although Gibson has never officially confirmed that number. But whatever the actual number was, it was still tiny.

Most plausible explanation I've heard is that these cherrybursts were produced primarily as demos for trade shows. The rare but better known tobacco sunburst finish eventually became a catalog option, mainly for a fretless model although a much smaller number of fretted tobacco bursts were also made. But cherryburst was never made an official finish option for the Ripper by Gibson.

Interesting that they're only asking $2200 for it…

Pretty cool!

*(Note: I have no reason to doubt it being real btw. There's no finacial incentive to fake a Ripper, or do a refinish of that quality on something as unpopular as these basses.) :oops:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Really cool. The bass isn't my favorite but if you're into that model this is THE bass for you.

I would be curious about two things.
    1) Where has it been?
    2) With rust on the parts how are the electronics?

I'm strangely tempted by this bass just because of the story.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You would want a live test. The rust is sometimes caused by a gassing problem with the plastic in the pickguard. That's usually what's responsible for the rust you see on a lot of the screws and knob pointers in Rippers that spend a lot of time in their cases. Sometimes the gas induced corrosion also extended to the electronics, requiring a pickup rewind in the most extreme cases. It's pretty rare - but it is something to be aware of when shopping for early Rippers and Grabbers. In a sealed bag for 40+ years there may be some grounds for concern.

I'd definitely test it as soon as I got it and probably pull the pickguard and do a careful visual inspection. I'd also pay close attention to the neck if it's been under tension (or untensioned if that's the word) all that time and never checked.

If I had the cash to spare right now I'd be sorely tempted. This is definitely one of those "unicorn basses." It's hard enough to find a Ripper that's in playable condition let alone well cared for. To find a factory fresh one - with a non-production model finish and an ebony fretboard - approaches a cosmic event when it comes to rarity.

I'd probably take a chance on it,,, depending on what I was told after contacting the seller. Because I would have a few questions I'd need answered before biting the bullet.

rodv66, lowdownthump and two fingers like this.
  11. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    $2200 is very reasonable for a NOS in that finish, even though I hate that finish.

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    That would be the Ripper to get if you were really into them, for sure!

As to Reverb and it's pricing: my friends and I joke that Reverb is where guys put stuff for sale that they don't really want to sell and use it to prolong the selling process. Usually because the wife wants something gone. It then gets posted on Reverb for 20-40% over market value and sits for months. Wife then asks why it's still unsold? Husband replies "It's posted online for sale, no one is biting, I don't know..." There is no incentive to take down the listing and it will hang there, sometime forgotten, until someone sends a question email or offer. Ebay has 30 day maximums on listing length before you have to take action and relist and will eventually start charging relist fees after a long stretch, etc...

High asking prices are nuts. If I'm posting, I'm motivated to sell.

Rabidhamster and Runnerman like this.
  13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Reverb is relatively new, but it's evolving. Sellers seem to be realizing that they're not going be able to sell gear at the over-inflated prices they'd hoped for. I used to avoid Reverb like the plague because everything seemed priced ~40% above actual selling prices, as you've pointed out.

But lately, I've found some really good deals there by waiting for price drops. It can take a long time but the motivated Reverb sellers eventually face reality, and either drop prices or accept reasonable offers.

I guess the non-serious "wife pleaser" sellers and wannabe gougers will always be there, just like they are everywhere else. Same as it ever was.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

FWIW a used Ripper on very good condition runs between $1000 and $1400 most times I've seen one. I've never heard of an unsealed one with OM case and all the fixins intact, let alone one in mint or near mint condition up for sale before.

Rippers usually sit listed for about a month or so before they either disappear or are sold. So IMO asking $2200 for an extremely rare NOS one doesn't strike me as being too crazy a price. If you're a Ripper fancier (and yes...there are such people :p) this would be considered a major opportunity to score big time. Bragging rights among the Gibson cognoscenti don't climb higher than this one.

Patty Clam and lowdownthump like this.
  15. nyde7

nyde7

Jun 27, 2005
    Looks like someone liked it... says it sold today!

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful even the box is worth money I would test it get the metal cleaned up or replated and stick it right back inside that box and then I would put a box around that box.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yeah. Something like that doesn't stand on the block for very long. Probably heading for some rocker's collection wall, or on it's way to Hong Kong or Japan as we speak.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. Asimov

Asimov

Dec 5, 2014
    Maryland
    !cid_part1_09090707_03060708@dca.
    For anyone interested, I offered them $2000 and they took it. I am going to be the proud owner of this Ripper. To add to the rarity, most of the Cherryburst Rippers made were 74 models with the wider, fatter, maple body. This is a 75, the first year they used the thinner, contoured Grabber body and alder instead of maple. I know only of one other 75 Ripper like this, and it is owned by Mark Evans of AC/DC.

Above is a picture of the 74 Cherryburst Ripper. The following video shows Mark Evans with his 75 Cherryburst Ripper:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  19. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Good snag. How could you find a nicer one?

20. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Theres that rich guy on eBay with all the fancy guitars photographed with the hooahs. Maybe they're just really friendly broads that like getting their picture taken, and he's a guy that eats a lot of top ramen - what do I know, other than the guys listings have been up for years. So long I could've saved up and bought one now but they're charging too much for me to do it. I figure its a twofer for his wife - The "models" help him "sell" the "investment" guitars for "profit".