gibson ripper

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TAKEUPARMS, Jan 15, 2006.

Nov 9, 2005
    a guy at a pawnshop is selling a gibson ripper, i tried it out and it sounded sweet, but the price tag seems pretty pricey, 900 or 800 bucks. is this a good deal, or should i try to talk it down? it also includes the the original hardcase, i don't really care for it, or should i?
  2. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I owned 2 Gibson Ripper Basses that I bought new in the 1970's and I always liked them very much.

BUT IMHO, that is TOO much $$$ I would offer in the $500-$600 range if and only if the bass is in AAAAA+ condition.

Again my opinion only . . Peace Out

PS If the case is original . . use it, I remember it being a good thing
  3. 1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    I'd say its too much too
  4. Gibson-Ripper Bass
    1974-1982. indroduced as L-9S Bass in '73. double cut solidbody, glued neck, 2 p-ups, string through-body.
    1974-1982 various colors $550-$700, fretless- add $50. (us).
    prices are listed for low to high, excellent condition.

Edit: i play a Fender Jazz, but in all honesty, Peavey makes a better bass than Gibson. imo

Nov 9, 2005
    i tried it out sitting down, but what i want to know is, is it heavy on the shoulder? weight's normally not a problem to me, but it's really an awesome bass, and i just wanted to know
  6. way too much.. i found a perfect conidtion one at a local music store for 600. real nice basses though. if you could get the price way down i'd go for it.

the ripper is my favorite outta that whole series of basses.
  7. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I've played one on one occasion and liked it very much. It felt like a solid good sounding (P-like) bass. It was quite light too.

$800-900 is a bit steep though. I think $600 is more in the acceptable area.
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Sounds a little steep to me, also - I'd sure like to have one, though...

- georgestrings
  9. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    I saw one less than that at Guitar Center. If they're charging less you know it's way too much....
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I saw the Afrobeat band Antibalas a year ago, and the bassist was playing a Ripper. I couldn't see the rest of his rig, but let me tell you the sound was FAT! Huge, glomping, thick funk. I almost went out and bought a Ripper after that show.
  11. I agree with the $600 top price.

The OHSC is a nice extra, but I wouldn't pay the price the guy in the pawn shop is asking. :rollno:

A few months ago, there was a late 70s Gibson G-3 in mint condition in the 14th Street Guitar Center here in Manhattan, also with the hard case, and they were asking $1,800 !!! :eek:

In the end, it's up to you.

12. Grabber III (G3)
    1975-1982, double cut solidbody, 3 p-ups, bolt-on maple neck, maple board, nickel-plated hardware. various colors.
    $600-$750. prices listed, low to high, excellent condition.
    source: Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide, 2005.