Gibson Ripper?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, May 20, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    Does anybody no anything about the Gibson Ripper that was made around in the 70's?

I've heard some bad stuff about most gibson basses, claiming that they are very "mushy" sounding. i have never played one to say.

thank you in advanced!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Peter Cetera played a Ripper in Chicago. It didn't suck too badly.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Rippers (and Gibsons in general) were inconsistent during the 70s. I've played some Rippers that were decent and some that were pure garbage, all regardless of year.

If you're looking to buy one, make sure and examine the hell out of it, especially the neck. 70s Ripper necks were notorious for warping.

In the end, I wouldn't pay more than $300.00 bucks for one and I DEFINITELY would not buy one sight unseen (i.e., over the internet).

Hope this helps.

One last thing - they are some heavy slabs o' wood and not at all versatile, sound-wise, so be prepared.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love the Ripper. Its a great bass.

I think the tone controls give a lot of versatility. Its got seperate mid and treb passive tone controls so you can roll off either without taking from the sound much. They also have a great 5 position switch which gives alot of pickup coil options.

They have a very bassy sound and can give very sharp attack. It is heavy and big, but not too much. I played an Epiphone Ripper, which I believe was all maple just like the Gibson, at 3 hour gigs with my band, and was perfectly fine.

I play mostly rock, and rarely try to test a bass in funk or jazz context, so I can only comment on its Rock tone. It is a great rock bass. It was the main bass of Krist Novoselic from NIRVANA, and Im sure was used by many others. Other basses of the series were used by Gene Simmons of Kiss and Mike Dirnt of Green Day.

While I might not have liked all of the pickup selections, but a few gave me great bassy powerful sounds.

All in all the bass has a great hard hitting tone, and I would recommend trying one out fro your self.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Where's Bob Gollihur?
  6. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'd like to add Greg Lake to the All-Star Ripper list. As for the tone, think "Longview" by Green Day...not too mushy, eh?
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In long view he isnt using a Ripper, but rather the G-3, a cousin of the Ripper.

The Ripper has 2 humbuckers, while the G-3 has 3 single coils. Gene Simmons played a Grabber, another cousin with 1 slidding humbucker.