Gibson Rippers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JetGlowSteve, Jul 8, 2001.

1. What a bass!! I'd never tried a Gibson Ripper out before...thought they were pretty damn ugly and just never gave them much mind, but damn!! I played a used one today just out of curiousity and bought it on the spot. What a monster tone! Plus it was only $300, they were happy when I bought it...said it was so ugly no one wanted it. It doesn't play as smooth as my Ric but its a tone monster. This one is one of the black one pick up deals...evidently Gene Simmons like them. I was never much on Kiss but I can see why someone like him favored them. Anyone else dig them? Gibson shouldn't have stopped making these....I can understand the ugly factor but the sound more than makes up for that.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Some are, many aren't. Both my fretless and fretted Ripper are quite comfortable, no heavier than most Fenders. The body is larger but thinner.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Mikey Welsh, of Weezer, is playing a cool, all black, ebony fingerboard, Ripper now. Check out any concert pics, their recent SNL appearance, or the "Hash Pipe" music video.
  4. Nope its not heavy at least the one I got. Right...about the weight of your average Fender. They look heavey, pretty big bass. Bob, how'd that fretless? I've seen a few up on Ebay and now that I have a fretted one I wouldn't mind giving a fretless one a go.
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I love my old fretless -- bought it new in Jan '76 and have enjoyed it a great deal over the years. Mine is modified with Lane Poor humbucker and narrow aperature pickups, blend control, and a three band EQ. I tried to keep the "vibe", and the additional control matches the original knobs and the rotary switch is the blend pot on mine. It really has a great tone and distinctive sound.
  6. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Not to rain on your parade or anything.But,if it's got one pup it's either a Gibson Grabber or an Epi Ripper.Not a Gibson ripper.They had 2 pups.As such you didnt get much of a deal,particularly if it's the Epi as you can buy them brand new for around 225-250.Sorry.
  7. I guess I was mistaken must be a Grabber then since it only has the one humbucker pickup. If it were Epiphone I would have said it was an Epiphone... You didn't rain on my parade, I'd be completely happy with the bass no matter what it is or who made it just due to its tone. I started posting here to get away from the negativity and arrogance over on the Harmony Central board...I really hope that sort of crap doesn't start up on this board.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I had a ripper for a while. Probably should have kept it. I never really thought it sounded great or anything, but it was tough as nails. I aways liked the chickenhead pickup selector and the very audible "klunk" when you changed pickups. It was very industrial. Black on black. It brought out the Gene in me.
  9. Yep, this one's a Grabber, just did a little research and that's exactly what it on black with one pickup. I wasn't even aware there was one called a Grabber...had never heard of it. Learned something new about my new bass.
  10. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    By the way,theres yet another Gibson in that "family" so to speak.Its called an L9 S or something like that.Easy to recognize as its got 3 pups.Good luck!
  11. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  12. Yeah, according to what I've found here in a book there was the Grabber with one pup, then the G-3/Grabber w/3 pups. The Ripper started out as the L9-S in 1973 but then became the Ripper in 1974.
  13. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Your Grabber should have a single pup that slides from neck to bridge. I never played one so I can't say how you move it, if it's held in place with screws or friction, or whatever. Supposedly, you can get more tones by moving the pup but I've heard that the distance isn't enough to make a big difference in the sound.

I've got a late 70's G3. It says so right on the truss rod cover. Three pups; single coil and transparent. I wish mine was in the shape of the previous posted one. I beat mine up pretty good but it was my workhorse. Still sounds as good today as it did back then.