Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Rippers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Hi. I think I'm interested in a Gibson Ripper bass. There's also the Gibson Grabber, if I'm not mistaken. I like the tone of the Ripper. Are they still made? Is there anywhere I can get one, and for how much? I remember playing one once and it weighed a ton but I liked it. And is there any way I can replicate the tone of one on my Jazz bass for now? Thanks.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    No, they are not still made. You can search eBay and gbase.com to see if there are any used ones up for sale. Not sure about the prices, but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one in a good condition. I doubt very much that your Jazz could replicate the tone.

Final note - Gibson RD Artist is a MUCH better bass, check it out if you get a chance. If you like Grabber/Ripper, you will absolutely love the RD Artist.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Epiphone made a version of the Ripper, too. Might be worth checking out.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    During the mid 70's Gibson made three related basses, the Ripper, the Grabber, and the G-3. The Ripper is set neck with two humbucking pickups and a strange 4-way switch (I say strange, as one setting is both p/u in series, one is both in parallel, and one is both out of phase, and the fourth is the bridge pickup alone). The Grabber is a bolt on with a sliding humbucking pickup. The G-3 (the rarest of these) is a bolt on with 3 single coils (Bill Lawrence designed), that also has a strange wiring, as the it has a 3-way switch that has the neck and middle on, all three on, and the middle and bridge on. From a tone standpoint, they all sound different. The Grabber is the warmest with the single humbucker, the G-3 is the brightest, the Ripper is has the most sounds in it, and is mid way as far as brighter then the Grabber, but not as bright as the G-3. All of these turn up periodically on Ebay and can usually be had for a fair (under $500 often) price. When set up good, they all play quite well.

The Epi Ripper is more like a Gibson Grabber with a bolt on neck and a single pickup.

Hope that helps.
    Steve