1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson SG Bass: good blues bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by telepbrman, Feb 20, 2008.

1. telepbrman

telepbrman

Dec 11, 2007
    I would like to know if you SG Bass pickers play blues on her and if she's a good blues type bass? Thanks, dy.

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I have an EB-3 that I've used countless times to play blues. it's not quite the same bass as the SG Reissue but I don't see how you'd have any problems.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What bass wouldn't be good for blues in the hands of an accomplished player?

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Howling Wolf's bass player used one.

5. telepbrman

telepbrman

Dec 11, 2007
    Great scoop, I'll look up some Wolf tonight...later, dy.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    My opinion is that where short scale basses excel in sound is actually on the higher registers. On the lower end the low notes tend to lack definition, at least with EB's/mudbuckers. The SG, has to be better though.

For todays blues, I would thing a 5 string would almost be best. If you listen to modern blues when you go to that low B it really adds a new dimension to the music.

The EB & Epi Newport's used long ago did and still work for the job, but for me I think they fit better with more blues based classic rock, like Cream's music, rather than maybe a walking blues song.

That's just my opinion though.

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Sir Paul's bassist with one

Listen around 5:00 & at 6:49 a little bass break with it.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I find a Precision is a bit better that the SG on the lower end but both will work fine.

An SG seems to work best for tunes by the Stones and other 60-70's rock IMO.

9. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The EB3 is most certainly a good blues bass.