Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson SG Bass Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glnflwrs, Mar 27, 2005.

1. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    Just found this on music123.com

Is this new to everyone or am I the only one who thinks it's a new deal?

[​IMG]

2. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    It looks like a slightly modernised version of the EB3 to me. I don't think they ever had an "SG Bass" in the 60s & 70s (but I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong). The controls are different - volume/volume/tone in stead of the 2 volumes, 2 tones and a vari-tone switch of the EB-3.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/SG_ReissueBass.html

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The bass has a 30" scale, which is the original EB3 spec as played by Jack Bruce. Gibson never marketed an "SG" bass that I know of. They were always "EB-whatever." In any case, that looks like a lot to pay for a short scale Gibson bass (2 strikes against it out of the box, but that's IMHO). Of course, if they produced the EB-3L (long scale) with bass pickups by somebody other than Gibson, I might be interested. Oh yeah, and if they cured the neck dive....

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm still holding off till I can find a real 60's, 70's Eb-o/3.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't consider a new one at that price. Maybe a used Epiphone EB-3L. Gotta have the long scale.

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
  7. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    That is the bass I played from '73 - '81 approx.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You would think that Gibosn would know that there was never a such thing as an 'SG Bass'.:rolleyes:

9. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    So, this IS a new/recent issue bass. You mean I'm actually ahead of the curve for once? Hehe, whadda ya know!

Yeah, Gibson never named a bass "SG", but all the EB models were, I believe, the generic sg type build. (SG meaning solid guitar, evidently.) There was an SG brand bass that was fairly decent for a cheaper copy.

I could be wrong. I am 'FOS' a fair amount of the time.