1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson SG Bass Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glnflwrs, Mar 27, 2005.

1. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    Just found this on music123.com

Is this new to everyone or am I the only one who thinks it's a new deal?

[​IMG]

2. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    It looks like a slightly modernised version of the EB3 to me. I don't think they ever had an "SG Bass" in the 60s & 70s (but I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong). The controls are different - volume/volume/tone in stead of the 2 volumes, 2 tones and a vari-tone switch of the EB-3.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/SG_ReissueBass.html

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The bass has a 30" scale, which is the original EB3 spec as played by Jack Bruce. Gibson never marketed an "SG" bass that I know of. They were always "EB-whatever." In any case, that looks like a lot to pay for a short scale Gibson bass (2 strikes against it out of the box, but that's IMHO). Of course, if they produced the EB-3L (long scale) with bass pickups by somebody other than Gibson, I might be interested. Oh yeah, and if they cured the neck dive....

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm still holding off till I can find a real 60's, 70's Eb-o/3.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't consider a new one at that price. Maybe a used Epiphone EB-3L. Gotta have the long scale.

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
  7. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    That is the bass I played from '73 - '81 approx.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You would think that Gibosn would know that there was never a such thing as an 'SG Bass'.:rolleyes:

9. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    So, this IS a new/recent issue bass. You mean I'm actually ahead of the curve for once? Hehe, whadda ya know!

Yeah, Gibson never named a bass "SG", but all the EB models were, I believe, the generic sg type build. (SG meaning solid guitar, evidently.) There was an SG brand bass that was fairly decent for a cheaper copy.

I could be wrong. I am 'FOS' a fair amount of the time.