1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson SG Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman 100, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    I see SG Basses advertised at €750 to €1,200 but they look identical - any reason why. (Could it be a stockl photo by office staff not knowing the difference.) Is it like the guitar versions where the SG Special is cheaper & the Standard is more expensive. Even the catalogue on the Gibson Web site does'nt help. Has anyone got opinions re' playability apart from neck dive problems. Re-Sale value ? One trick poney or not. Tips, assessment advise. Currently playing an American Jazz. Love it, sometimes too heavey, lacks power output. Love old school sound.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The faded SG is cheaper. I am not sure what photos you are talking about but some of the differences are the neck & headstock inlays, the faded has dots & the standard has Les Paul type inlays. I have heard the fret work & fit & finish is not as good on the faded but have not played one so I can't say for a fact. I love my SG. As far as neck dive, use a suede strap and it's no problem

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    SG Standard Bass has high gloss nitrocellulose finish (takes multiple coats and thus more costly than the thin faded finish on the Faded SG Bass) and trapzoid inlays instead of dot inlays found on the Faded SG Bass (probably a little more labor to do than dots.) I've seen some places in the past selling the faded bass and only offer a gig bag instead of a hardshell case.

4. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Very interersting, thank you. With Regards to the high gloss nitrocellulose finish on the standard, you just reminded me; I had a black SG Guitar years ago, & exchanged it on the same day for a natural mahogoney finish, as I hated the finish. I know time would have worn it in, but it was very "un-natural" I still have that SG Mahogney finish guitar, thinking of trading it for the SG Mahogney Faded Bass, any views out there, would I be sorry. I love the guitar, but don't use it very often.

5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Personally, I love the tone. The only difficulty I have with them is my right hand position. It ends up kind of drifting, and I can never really find a great place to anchor down. And depending on the year, the standard nitro'd SG has either blocks or dots.