Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gibson SG bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rocket, May 5, 2003.

1. hi there!

i've got an old gibson sg bass. can anyone tell me how old it is? there's a serial number on it:

please email me back, thanks

roger

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Click the link below or cut and paste. Them fill out the form and ask the same question as above. You might have to wait a while for a reply. I'm not sure how long a wait there is though. ;) http://www.gibson.com/relations/mailform.html

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A picture or description of finish, hardware, features, etc. will go a LONG way to help dating it...much more so than serial number.

BTW Gibson only made one actual "SG bass", the SG-Z of a few years ago. All others with the SG body shape were either EB-series or SB-series. Except for the SG-Z, the SG name was used only for guitars.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah Gibson serial numbers are a big mess. It took a sort of process of elimination for me to determine that my bass was a '72 based on the serial number and the features on it...

5. thanks a lot folks.
    by the way... it looks like pete townshend's gibson sg guitar...