1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson SG eb-0 1966

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsa0100, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    There is a Gibson eb-0 for sale at a shop
    2 1/2 hours of driving away from me.

They are asking around 1800$.
    At first i was surprised that a vintage bass was
    so low priced. I guess they are not that popular.

I am used to playing both Jazz and P-bass.
    And i have long fingers.

I play a lot of 60's music, but i don't use flat wounds.
    However since i don't own a genuine vintage bass,
    i am tempted to buy it.

I know this is a bit hard to answer, but is the short
    scale bass not recommended fore some one with larger fingers and long arms.

Is the sound of the eb-0 getting tiresome to listen to after a
    while (a bass friend of mine claims so). ?

And is there no vintage hype when it comes to SG basses ?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Play it. If there are no cracks, it is all original, and you love it, offer $1500.

They have a limited tonal pallet, so what? If you like it, you like it. Thousands of these were used by bassists in the early '60s.

Cracks: Headstocks have often been sheared off, and at least 40% of the time are cracked with repairs.

They are set neck, so look at the neck heel very skeptically. Check out the frets, truss rod and relief, electronics and bridge. Does it have a mute? Tug bar? Pick guard?

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    First, you have to play the bass to see how it feels. I don't the size of your hands and arms will make a difference if the bass fits. An EB-0 will never been confused for the sound of a jazz or P bass. They are pretty much all bottom end.

G

4. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    There is no cracks (or so he claims),
    there is no mutes and the pick guard is missing.
    And there is no case.
    But i guess i have to drive there and try it out.
    But as a vintage item, will it have any investment value at all ?

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Most of those original vintage parts are still available. So, look to spend another $200 at least to have a complete bass. Investment value? You are buying in at the highest end of the market(retail). No one here has a crystal ball to see what prices will be like in the coming years. Look around before you send $1800, maybe there is a better bass at a better price.

G

6. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Just because it's old doesn't make it valuable.

Quite a bit comes into consideration when assessing a guitar's worth.

The first one of these is desirability. How "in demand" is the instrument? Do a lot of people want an instrument like that? Is there enough to meet the demand? If they're rare and a lot of people desire them then they go up in value. Here's an example: Peavey T-40's, many people like them and want them, there is plenty of supply to meet the demand so the price stays low.

Second is condition of the instrument. If it's a desirable instrument but has many flaws, like broken/repaired headstock, missing parts, modifications, or non-original parts, that will affect the price. One of the biggest is refinishes. I've seen a desirable basses value go down by almost 1/2 because of a refinish. It wasn't due to the condition of the refinish because it looked awesome, it was due to the fact that it was refinished. Most people would rather have an original finish that was almost all gone then to have a refinish that looks new, because the bass isn't 100% original any more.

Since this bass has no case and missing pickguard, I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb and check the headstock, tuning machines, bridge, neck/body joint, and electronics. I also would NOT pay the $1800 asking price. I don't think I'd even pay $1500 for it.

Some old Gibson basses are on a roller coaster ride when it comes to value. Some go up and stay there while others go up then come down...etc. Back when they were made, they weren't all that desirable. Not many people liked the tone of them. True, Jack Bruce used one, but the EB/SG basses never really caught on.

Also, unless you can really afford to buy an instrument just to put it away and never play it, don't go into a purchase thinking of it as an investment. With most instruments, you have to wait quite a while before you see them go up in value by a considerable amount.

The 70's Fender basses are a good example. During the 80's and 90's you couldn't give a 70's Fender bass away. It's only reciently that they've gone up a considerable amount. That's 30 years of waiting.

7. I deal a bit in vintage basses, mostly Gibsons. $1800 for an EB-0 without mute, pickguard, and case is very over-priced. A mute will cost you over $100 (more in the neighborhood of $150) and the pickguard can run up close to that. An original case (if you ever find one) can be $300-$400. There are EB-0s out there for $1600-$1800, mid-1960s models, that are complete and in excellent condition. Try it out, if he won't take $1200 for it, look for one on gbase.com.