1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson SG Faded (Worn Ebony) vs Gibson SG Standard Bass RI Floor Models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassfulOne, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hello Talkbass World!

So I recently sold my Ric (no regrets! Rics weren't comfortable for my hands and the weight was pretty hefty as well) and now I'm on the hunt for a short-scale bass. I'm 5'6" so I think I overestimated how large my hands were and I'm a pianist by training but I want to delve into the world of bass. :)

The bass I currently am looking at and I'm quite fond of the sound of is the Gibson SG. I saw two at my local GC that were the floor models and they told me they didn't have any more in stock besides those two (the salesperson seemed like he wasn't BSing me) so he was willing to mark down 10% b/c of wear & tear from being a floor model. He also told me there wouldn't be any more in stock probably until February (hence the markdowns).

My questions are: A.) Are either of them worth it at 10% off? B.) Should I try to haggle the price down more and try to get him to NOT charge tax? C.) Which should I go for (faded ebony vs glossy cherry - with a $500 price difference! But both floor models)? And lastly D.) Are there other short scale basses I should be considering for the same kind of tone, or is this pretty much it at this price range?

I hope this wasn't too long to read, and thanks in advance for the help! :hyper:

2. stanley00

stanley00

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    A.) I recently bought a new faded ebony at full price. I didn't pay sales tax because I ordered from MF because no one had one locally. I saved 7% that way. Usually there aren't very many deals on Gibsons. The price is worth it if that's what you want.

B.) It doesn't hurt to ask for a lower price, I would. I would print out whatever GC coupons I could find on the website too. Get a manager involved, they are usually pretty helpful if you are serious about buying. Make sure you get the case, it should be included.

C.) I chose the faded model because I didn't want to feel like I had to baby it. I play out at church twice a week in very confined spaces that results in dings and dents. A new faded model will look like a floor model pretty soon anyway. It gets dented and dinged extremely easily. Some like the worn look, some don't. I was happy to spend $500 less for the faded finish. I don't like worrying about keeping a bass looking nice for the next guy if I decide to sell it.

D.) I haven't found another short scale that sounds like the SG. There are other nice short scales though.

3. I love the Gibson EB-3/SG model basses. They have a unique sound and play very well.

Some other models to consider:

Epiphone Jack Casady: Jack Casady Signature Bass

Although not short scale, it is worth looking into. It has a monster tone and is a lot of fun to play. A buddy has one, and I would purchase it from him in heartbeat.

Allen Woody Rumblekat
    The Rumblekat is a shorty, and it is named after my favorite bass player. However, I am not fond of the neck.... it felt a bit too thin. That doesn't mean it won't work for you.

In Store Vintage VINTAGE 1978 FENDER MUSICMASTER BASS OLYMPIC WHITE and more at GuitarCenter.com.

I have heard good and bad things about the Fender Musicmaster... you can find them online at a decent price. The good thing about them is they have a "tubby" sort of sound to them. A lot of guys don't like them for that reason. However, I think it deserves a spot on this list as an alternative to the Epiphone/Gibsons.

Gretsch also makes some short scale basses... Gibson also makes a shorty version of the LP and the Thunderbird.

I have an Artia EB-3... it is a Gibson knockoff. It was made in 1974. Shortscale. I have yet to find another EB style bass, Epiphone or Gibson, that sounds better. When I do, I will buy it.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Gibson's making a les paul jr. shortscale bass as well...and you may want to check out a shortscale Lakland Decade or 3.

5. Thanks for the replies guys! I think one of the main reasons I've been looking at the Gibson SG in particular was because of the way the neck felt (compared to other basses I've tried). I prefer a chunkier neck because too thin necks make my hands cramp up. I think I'll check out the GC again later today and possibly pick it up! I'll post pics if that happens.

Cheers!

- BassfulOne

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The faded finish will wear quickly, which looks great to some others not.

7. I think I actually prefer the faded model because of that reason! So this is definitely a good thing for me. :bassist:

I've decided to see if I can order one from Sweetwater since I prefer their service over GC. My "tech" is gonna get back to me once his contact at Gibson gives him an estimate (price/availability, etc.). I guess the ebony didn't quite fit my liking, and I just don't find it reasonable to pay $500 for the glossy finish/trapezoid inlays. :p

So it seems I'm going to be bass-less for a month or so, but I think it'll be worth the wait! :D

8. Turns out Sweetwater doesn't normally carry the faded model, so it's gonna be a special order from Gibson. What makes it even more anxiety-inducing is that it won't come in until April!

In the meantime, however, I have a Kala UBass on the way and it'll be coming in by the middle of the week! =D

9. GolemTB

GolemTB

Dec 22, 2011
    The OP seems to have made his decision [faded SG]
    but just a heads up for others seekers of a 30" bass:

The JC is NOT 30" ... it's full scale. Combined with its
    huge body and headstock, it's a monster ... just the
    opposite of what a 5'6" players seeking a compact ax
    would want.

`

10. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    I have an SG Supreme w/ the flame maple top - this was a Gibson "guitar of the week" from a couple years back when they were doing it (2007?). It's quite nice. Anyway, I'd be hard pressed to think the additional $ for the non-faded version is worth it. I love short scales, and I love my SG. With that said, my new Squier Jag VM short plays as well and it was $145 brand new.

11. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Oddly enough, I just played a Gibson SG reissue back to back with my Squier VM SS Jag and I concur; it easily plays just as well.

12. I was actually looking at the Squier VM SS Jaguars as well, but I wasn't sure if the J-bass style neck would suit my hands as well as the chunky neck of the SG. Any pros/cons to having the thinner neck profile?

13. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    You should check out the Danelectro Longhorns. Short scale, very light, great tone.

14. I was in the Nashville Sam Ash store this morning and they had a new faded cherry SG bass hanging on the wall for $899. The faded cherry seems to be much harder to find than the faded ebony basses.

I think Sam Ash does transfers between stores like Guitar Center does. Might be worth checking out if the O.P. is still hot for one.

15. I don't think they can do that, not charging you sales tax. Would be against the law. They could maybe pay the tax for you, not sure how that would work though. Internet is the best way to go if you don't want to pay tax on something, as of present when you buy off the net there is no tax (however when you do your taxes your tax person will ask if you bought anything online, lol)
    Not at all.:)

16. I guess what I meant was haggle down to an OTD price that's low enough that it'll be as if I'm not being charged sales tax (where they charge sales tax but it's a nice even number).

If anything, I've actually still been on the fence between the glossy vs. non-glossy/faded. The faded seems like the bang-for-the-buck option, but I'm thinking the glossy will last longer in the long run. I apologize for bumping a month-old topic but I'm just pretty anxious/have a lot of GAS for this SG bass. xD