1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson SG Reissue Faded or Epi EB-0 Modded

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Serek_Basses, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I've been having a prolonged GAS attack for an SG style bass lately.

As usual, my qualms are cash related. Can anyone who has played either or both of these help me out.

Do I:

A. Spend $200 for an Epiphone EB-0, add a bridge pickup and/or swap out the neck pu with a Model One.

or

B. Dole out 900 hundo for an SG Reissue with a faded finish?

I would ultimately like to use either of these basses in a live setting. I do need some versatility and definition because I am up against two loud guitarists on stage. I don't necessarily want the Jack Bruce woof, I prefer a slightly more modern tone. But I have fallen in love with the SG look. Is the Epiphone modifiable enough to get me there?

Thanks

2. I happen to have both those basses. My Epiphone EB-0 has the Model One at the neck and a cheap mini-humbucker from StewMac at the bridge. It also has the Hipshot replacement bridge, which is good, but I liked the 3-point original too. The SG is more or less stock.

The SG has a set neck and a slightly thinner body, and it has a nicer feel than the Epiphone. I play it a lot more than I do the Epi. The band I'm in at the moment needs a dark, smooth bass sound, and the SG with flats is perfect. But for versatility, the modded Epi would be my choice, between the examples I have. The neck pickups on both basses sound very similar, but the bridge pickup on the Epi is a little hotter and brighter than the one on the Gibson. The same may not be true for other examples of the basses, of course. Neither is the most modern or versatile bass around, but in some situations, they work great.

I think there's a range of quality in the Epiphone EB-0s. I've seen some with opaque cherry-red paint, and while they may be as good, they don't look as nice to me as the ones with see-through cherry stain. They're also made in different places--mine was made in Korea. The stock pickup was extremely microphonic on mine, but with the mods, I like it. When I can find the time, it will probably lose its frets. I'll leave them on the Gibson.

Here's a shot:
    EB0SG3. [/QUOTE]

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  4. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL

Yeah, I have picked up one of the Epi EB-3s. The mudbucker sounded great on it, but the bridge pickup was very weak due to it being placed so close to the bridge. And the neck dive was something I don't think I could deal with.

5. I have an Eb-0 and plan on doing much like you have suggested (except think darkstars..oooh yeah) but even after doing that I'd prefer a Gibby SG. There is very little comparison. The Epi feels good for a sub 200 dollar bass, but those GIbsons are jsut sweet. If money is a concern get an Epi Eb-3. Not Gibson quality, but they are actually quite nice. I saw a very good used one for 250 bucks at a local store that is known to be a bit overpriced.

6. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    I say get the SG reissue. It will keep it's value, and you'll be glad in the long run.

Remember the Epi EB3 is longscale, the other two are shortscale

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I didn't realize the Epi EB-3 was 34" scale; that would neck dive big time.
    I had a short scale Gibson EB-3 and it wanted to neck dive.

8. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008

yeah, the 70s Gibson EB*Ls had the bridge right back against the edge of the body, so they didn't need a too long neck. They don't dive, but the Epi EB3 just has a longer neck, and the bridge is in the same place as the short scale basses. Shame because other than that they are nicely made.

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Modded EB-0... Added 2 pickups and a lotta knobs... screwed up one volume pot, gotta replace it... also wanna replace the tuners...

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

As you have now noted, the EB-3 is a long scale and the EB-0 is a short scale. I've owned both, and the balance and ergonomics of the EB-3 bothered me a lot. I didn't like playing it at all.

However, i plan to buy another EB-0 in the future and add a bridge pickup. I like those basses and learned that it was a mistake to sell the EB-0 to buy the EB-3 (which i sold soon after, because I didn't like its balance and I didn't feel comfortable playing it.)

I vote to buy the EB-0 and add a pickup.

11. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I recently sold all but 2 of my basses... the ugly viking EB-0 and my Birdsong... The EB-o is my backup and I play it at ballgames with my students. I think if I had someone set it up, it would not be half bad. I kept it because it felt more like my Birdsong than any of my other basses... I would go with the EB-0 over the EB-3, definitely for balance... that said, one of my beginner band students has an EB-3 and it is kinda sweet... And, idunno... I might shell out the extra for the SG... But the EB-0 is not bad...