1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Sues Dean and Luna over Infringement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Williethump, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    if they're that concerned about patents, why don't they go after the Chinese companies that are making (almost) exact copies of Les Pauls right down to the logo?

2. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    They're not; they're rent-seeking.

Mike Whitfield and Williethump like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I'm sure they would love to. Having said that, how does one enforce a judgment on a company with no presence within the U.S. ?

Wisebass and Williethump like this.
  4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    [​IMG]

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  6. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I wish Dean great success in this! While I'm not exactly a fan of their instruments, if they were to post a gofundme, I'd be happy to chip in to their legal defence fund.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    They've filed in the same Texas district that's known to be really friendly to plaintiffs. : ) Will be really interesting to see how it all unfolds, but good for them for not backing down.

Wisebass, GregC, davidprice and 3 others like this.
  8. Agreed! I remember Ibanez shortly thereafter came out with the "Musician" guitar, which was played/endorsed by Carlos Santana.

9. I didn't know Carlos played and endorsed an Ibanez, I knew he played a Yamaha double cutaway model for quite a while, I think an SG2000?
    It wasn't that long after the so called "lawsuit" period that Ibanez began producing a range of new models and began to get a much bigger uptake of their instruments among professional and high profile musicians. Their ornate Bob 'Ace' Weir model 6 string comes to mind and Sting played Ibanez basses in The Police's heyday. It was probably inevitable that Japanese companies such as Yamaha, Ibanez and Aria would develop their own guitar and bass designs and features, but I wonder how much the actions of Gibson in particular, drove them to make the change from copies to "originals" sooner than what might otherwise have been the case?

ajkula66 and Williethump like this.
  10. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    It's interesting to me to see that they're continuing on with the suit that Henry filed. I understand what they're trying to do but I'm personally not of fan of it. Hopefully they double down on the focus of making better instruments.

Oddly enough, I reviewed their trademarks they have posted on their site...neither the Thunderbird or firebird headstocks are trademarked. I wonder if they just didn't post them or never trademarked them.

11. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    It's nice to see that Dean is fighting back with a counter-suit, alleging tortious interference. Apparently Gibson is telling dealers who carry Dean that they'll also be sued unless they drop them:

Dean Files Countersuit Against Gibson, Seeks Trademark Cancellations

If these allegations are true, Gibson has managed to beat last month's "new low" record.

Wisebass, GregC, Williethump and 2 others like this.
  12. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    From some inside info I have heard, this will likely be limited to Dean because of some broken agreements with them. Plus most of the stuff that was problematic with dealers has been dealt with, no more minimum orders etc. This helps small businesses. I'd be curious to hear or see what the actual lawsuit entails. Plus as I understand it, most of the employees are very happy with the direction, despite the awful PR flubs they have been perpetuating.

13. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Really.

Then perhaps they deserve the leadership they’ve got.

Williethump likes this.
  14. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Ha ha ha .... this is phenomenal...:roflmao: