1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Thiumph bass aka lespaul recording bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickss, Jan 22, 2012.

1. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    Did some people here try the gibson recording bass. Aka the gibson thiumph??

How it sound. How is the action of the instrument?? Saw it for sale???

2. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I bought one new back in 1974. The bass sounded great, but after playing Fender basses , I could never get used to the feel of it. The string tension was less than I was used to, and this presented problems with my playing style. It had a mishap on stage one night, and had to make a trip back to the Gibson factory for repairs. After receiving it back - I traded it for a 1973 Fender Jazz bass. On hindsight, I wish I still had them both !! The electronics on the Triumph are very cool - especially the phase switch !

3. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    The phase switch are similar to the s1 swith on fender bass????

4. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    listen to Cry of Love.
    Robert Kearns used to play a triumph

5. Basvarken

Basvarken Commercial User

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Luthier / Gibson Bass Book
    Robert Kearns is the one that got me bitten by the Gibson bug.
    Saw him live with COL and he simply had the best bass sound that I had ever heard. Made me want a Gibson Les Paul bass too.
    Took me a few years to find one.
    Been my main bass ever since.

Deepest and tightest lows , crystal clear highs (without ever sounding shrill) and everything in between.

I like the sound best with both pickups on and tone selector on the 1 (to the right). You get a sort of natural compresison that gives this bass a very tight sound but with all dynamics still there.

6. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    Congratulations on owning one, its at the top of my wish list.
    My FAVORITE tone ever, Robert Kearns on Peace Pipe

7. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Here's a cool live version of COL's Bad Thing (with cool bluesy intro). Featuring Robert Kearns on his Triumph.

Cry Of Love - Bad Thing - YouTube

And here's a video of myself with my band Superfloor using my Les Paul Bass (the predecessor of the Triumph)

Superfloor - YouTube

8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've wanted one of these for a long time and last year I was finally able to trade into a '74. I love it!

+1 on the tone - it is really outstanding with the low impedance passive pickups. Les was a genius. BTW, Les says one of the Varitone switch positions was designed to sound like a P bass, an homage to his good friend Leo.

It's my only short scale and a blast to play - the action along with the neck profile is great. Though Les wanted it to be long scale Gibson refused so it never got up enough steam to compete with the Fenders. Otherwise, in his own words, it was the best bass he knew how to make.

It's a great instrument and I'm glad to finally own one.

Attached Files:

9. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    that was great!

10. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    mine sounds great. Not a big fan of short scale however so it seldom leaves the house. great sounding bass. if scale is not anissue for you go for it. prices on these are still reasonable comparitively speaking....

giblpb.

ginlpb2.

11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Always wanted one of these, way out of my price range though.

12. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I didn't know they were short scale.
    ahh, another dream shattered

13. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Why?

You'd be surprised how comfortable they play.

14. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I played other short scales before, I always felt like my arms were cramped, like I was giving myself a hug or something, LOL.
    The only time I ever actually liked a short scale was after back surgery, the short scale was easier playing in bed :p

15. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Ah I see.
    Do you feel the same when you pick up a guitar? :D

16. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I'm commenting in this thread partly so that I can hopefully find find it again easily, but also because I've been playing and recording mine a fair amount lately, and I was amazed at how much it had a P-Bass-ness to it. My favorite tone position is #2 (in the middle) with both pickups on, and currently it has LaBella flats on it - here's what it sounds like:

Might have to experiment with the other positions - also thinking of putting roundwounds back on it...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  17. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    What I particularly like about it is the focused quality of the tone and sound. Those pickups are brilliant - the clarity they provide is really outstanding.

One thing I've found is the "P" position on the varitone depends on which amp or cabinet I'm using at the time. Although it's always there the number does change, at least for me.

I put flats (Chromes) on it when I first got it.Great. Then I tried it with rounds, and found I could still easily get a fat, meaty tone with a bit more attack. So for now I'm sticking with the rounds.

For me, these are easily the best basses Gibson made.

Nice playing BTW;)