Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Thunderbird 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daveonbass, Jul 31, 2005.

1. daveonbass

daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Hofner, Rotosound
    CLICK HERE to see the spec page for the new Gibson Thunderbird 5 - anyone seen or played one yet? Are they even out yet?

[​IMG]

:confused:

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Man...I hope they put a steel bar in the headstocks or something...bad enough with the tension of 4 strings on those headstocks let alone 5!

:eek:

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    can you say "neck dive"

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Neck dive can be easily dealt with by changing strap buttom locations and the right strap but a busted headstock is ummm...bad.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The Thunderbird will always be an incredibly cool bass in all its forms imo, this is a nice specemin, black finish with white pg always looks nice, good to see Gibson still putting some new Thunderbirds out.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's good to see a Gibson without the 3 point bridge.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Why is it such cheaper than the regular T-birds?

8. I think Musiciansfriend has them too.

I still say that nut width spec of 1.5 inches is incorrect.

5 strings on a Jazz-width neck? :rollno:

Mike

9. I dont like any of the new studio's, Its a Tbird, but its just not a Thunberbird. The pickguard is smaller, The headstock is smaller, The only thing i can say I like, Is the fact that the hardware is chrome, Otherwise, I dont really like it.

10. I dont like any of the new studio's, Its a Tbird, but its just not a Thunberbird. The pickguard is smaller, The headstock is smaller, The only thing i can say I like, Is the fact that the hardware is chrome, Otherwise, I dont really like it.

Set neck, And I think the chrome is cheaper than the black hardware on the regular Birds, The pickguard...

11. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    why did they put rosewood fingerboards on thunderbirds? mine is 2002 and got ebony... that mofo has killer sounds!

12. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    :confused: why won't they make it in white? :confused:

:scowl: