Gibson Thunderbird Nikki Sixx Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Has anyone ever played or even seen this thing. My local Mars just got one on friday. I went to pick it up and spent about five minutes looking for any volume or tone controls. It seems to only have an on/off toggle switch and the pickups are set very hot. It was very light and probably made completely of graphite. It was definitely thew wierdest
    (4 string) bass I have ever played.
  2. Actually the Blackbird is mahogany neck thru mahogany sides. As for the volume and tone controls Nikki never uses them, his bass is always wide open on the tone and both volume knobs of his thunderbirds, so when they made his signature he just put an on/off switch.

That being said, although it looks cool (I love the matte black finish and the iron cross inlays) I think it is way over priced if you are anything besides a Nikki Sixx fanatic.
  3. it's got an ebony fingerboard, which I think is unusual for T birds.
    I can't believe that I saw this bass is being stocked in a shop in Britain- hardly anyone's heard of Nikki Sixx, and who's going to pay £2000 for it?
    in 6 months time, this one'll be going for £500, i think.........
  4. How much is 500 lbs.(sorry I don't have that symbol).
    The one I saw was listed as $1099.
  5. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah, the local MARS here got one about two months ago, and I played it, loving the inlays and the eagle, but man, I hated it. I love to see the crue live, but man, that just further demonstrates his own lack of versatility, so I personally would never do a thing like that.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ebony boards are stock on recent model TBirds.
  7. hmmmm, according to the Gibson website the standard Tbird has a rosewood board-

but anyway, if the ebony board's even on the standard Tbird then there's even less of a reason to buy a Nikki Sixx blackbird IMHO.

Belair 57, I think £500 works out at about $800.

the prices of any guitar imported from the US into Britain usually comes in at about the same value in dollars, but with a £ sign in front:(

the price of the Nikki Sixx Tbird wasn't shown, but I think it'll be at least £1500.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't understand why Gibson made a bass for him after the band's climax. Honestly, the Crue hasen't done anything good in the last couple of years!!!! It should of been made in the height of their career!!!! But he was to doped out for any of that!!!
  9. BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i dont know if nikki really crank his knobs cuz his sound in motley is kinda weak
  10. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    wow I was bugging when I started reading this of my knowledge MARS music went under years ago....then I noticed it was started about 5 and a half years ago.
  11. feel free to dig around in old threads.....just do us a favor and dont post in them if theyre older than, oh, say 5 frikin years.....:eyebrow:

other than that...well, there is no other than that, nikki sixx and his thunderbird = :rolleyes:
  12. +1/ The thunderbird I had wass the most overpriced bass I've ever owned. I do like the way the Blackbird looks, however, but it just doesn't strike me as a very good value.
  13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Wait, wait, mean Crue did do something good at some point? Man, I musta missed it.
  14. hehehe...thankyou pennydreadful
  15. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Wait, Wait, mean Nikki's pickup's really worked? Cuz i could of swore that was the worse bass tone and that was unheard of in a three piece band in my life.
  16. BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I have to agree that i cant hear nikki's bass tone's most of the time even if i try REALLy hard to catch it...but whatever man, this guy is a good songwriter, and is one hell of a rockstar and 1 of my idols

as for motley crue they have some good songs, home sweet home, kickstart my heart, livewire, too young to fall in love etc.

mick is an under-rated guitarist and tommy lee is one hell of a drummer. vince has a unique voice, too.
  17. Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    i think the biggest reason nikki's tone sux is that he picks his strings really close to the bridge.. but reaaallly close. so it sounds more like a bass farting trough the song in stead of rolling trough the song. altho i like nikki sixx for his song writing talents and his stage presents. and motley crue rocks!
  18. Nikki's live tone is better than his studio. Check out his playing in The Brides of Destruction, you can clearly hear the bass.
  19. Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    +1 on that one. his tone on the brides album is really nice.
  20. If I recall, the Nikki Sixx model has been out of production for a few years...:confused: