Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson Thunderbird pick-ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Harper, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    I'm thinking on replacing the pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul with Gibson T-bird pickups. They should just drop right in, no?

And in addition, does anyone have a better suggestion for replacements then the T-birds?

Thanks in advance!

2. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
  3. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Maybe I should have thought of a thread title with a bit more pizzaz. :)

4. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Well; it's been a few months and I thought I'd try again.

Anyone?

5. I have posted in this thread and in the 'wanted' thread because i too am looking for t-bird pickups for my own project.
    I even asked who might make em, i have yet to recieve an awnser myself. You just may have to continue being patient. :D

And if you find anyone who sells em, let me know! :D

6. EMG also makes a replacement pickup for modern thunderbirds.

7. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

you can buy gibson tbird pickups from musicians friend. they're about $80 a peice.

8. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I had an Epiphone T-Bird that I upgraded to the Gibson T-Bird pickups and the Epi routes were significantly smaller. In regards to your Epi Les Paul, there are a few different sizes of pickups in those basses so you will most likely need to rout out the pickup routes. Once my Epi had been upgraded it was sweet, so the mod is worth it if you have the ability to rout the body. Otherwise you might luck out and have them fit. Have you emailed Gibson for the dimensions of their replacement p/u's?

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't even know if anybody is paying attention to this thread anymore but, Bartolini also makes replacement pickups, those would probably be a better than EMG pickups if you're going after a more vintage tone.

10. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    6-3-2 et. al.

The Bartolinis are the same size as the Gibsons--too big (wide) for the narrow Epiphone routes.

11. I contacted Gibson a few weeks ago, because I have a 76 that needs pups. The routes are 1/16" wider than vintage.

the actual dimensions are, from John at Gibson himself:

Current T-Bird Pickup dimensions:
    1.630 x 3.710

Best Regards,
    John Ellis
    Gibson Customer Support

Bartolini versions match vintage specs which are 3.63 on the width.

EMG's version in quite nice, but not so vintage...again, as always it depends on the par-tic-u-lar bass they're fitted to.

Seymour Duncan's custom cshop will make them for @ 130 bucks a piece, and you can get them in chrome.

Gibson's, as said, can be had for 20 bucks off list thru Musician's Friend. Which is where I be getting mine.

The Gibson new version is quite different construction from the vintage, and sound different, but not in a bad way. It's a "darker" pup, but in a traditional humbucker way.

The EMG's can be made with different coil configs, to mimic a P or a humbucker (full length coils)

Bartolini's the same story.

Seymour D is the one with the most options, since they're scratch build.