1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Thunderbird question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snaverb, Mar 6, 2010.

1. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've been looking to buy a Gibson Thunderbird, but every website I go to, Sweetwater, GC, MF, ect, they only color they show available is a sunburst. I want a White or Black one ( ie Kings of Leon )

Anyone know of any place that sells white or black ones?

Or maybe KOL's bassist had his custom made in the color he wanted?

Surely sunburst isnt the ONLY color option available on these basses....?

2. trim82nd

trim82nd

Feb 10, 2009
    Currently vintage burst is the only finish available on the T bird.

I have an acquaintance that deals with Gibson for his job and had him order a 'bird for me back in September.

I told him to ask the same question you posed here to his contact.

No dice. You are also "stuck" with the white pickguard, no other options available according to his contact.

BTW, I still haven't received my bass.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Last time I was at the Gibson Nashville store they had a white TBird. That was the last non-SB TBird I have seen and it was a few months ago.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Try and find one, I have been looking for a few months now. That is a little high but it is the going rate for a nice one. I kick myself for not getting one from MF when they were blowing them out for $800.00 The thing is if you want one they are hard to find and people know that. A Cherry Red one sold last week for $1200.00 it was nice

7. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    yeah for all black or all white definitely look for studios. just keep an eye out and look in all the usual used spots

8. Watch ebay. Black & white Gibson Tbirds (the IV models, not the studio models) come up on a regular basis. Right now there's a zebrawood model on there also...although its condition is kinda rough.

9. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    This. I see white Gibson T-birds on ebay more often than I thought I would.

10. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Whats the difference between the IV and the Studio ?

11. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    IV is a 9 ply laminate neck thru bass, pretty much the traditional method of construction. Studios are set neck, different with tighter darker tone.

12. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I have a IV, a Blackbird, and a Studio 5 and love them all equally. The Studio is set neck vs neck through and the body is a uniform thickness, as opposed to the IV which has slightly thinner wings. Also the bridge/neck set up is not "angled" like you fin don a Les Paul or a T-bird IV - it's more "flat" like on a Fender or any other bass. The headstock is a bit smaller, but doesnt have the same shape or "routing" that the IV does. Tonally they definitely sound "Thunderbird", but as Mark said - they are a bit darker which I actually dig.

13. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I have both the IV and the Studio and really love both. It would be hard to pick one if I had to choose. However, there are black versions of both, but only the IV comes in white.

14. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    I called Gibson and and asked about having a custom T-bird made... white with a reverse head stock..... They told me they are NOT make custom bass's at this time....

bummer

15. My guitarist contacted them a couple of years ago, to inquire about a Michael Schenker black & white Flying V. Nothing really special, just a standard V, painted black & white. He was quoted $10,000 - $12,000...:scowl:

They obvously aren't interested in custom work...even as "custom" as a different paint job. At least for us nobody's who actually "buy" their guitars & basses.

Guitarist wound up buying the exact guitar...off ebay...an ESP, instead of a Gibson...for around $800.

Used...LN...Tbirds go for auction...or BIN, so no auction...all the time. Including white.

16. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    After owning a few T-birds and playing alot of others, I would definatley NOT buy a new one. I would look for a late 80's-late 90's. That way the wood is aged properly unlike the newer ones that are made with green wood. I have seen guys with newer ones that have to adjust the neck constantly because of green wood.

17. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Why not get a Lull T-bass in white. Much better bass, better sound, and the color you want for what you would pay Gibson for a custom job, if they would make it. I highly recommend this bass to anyone seriously considering the Thunderbird.

18. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
  19. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    That is a Studio, it's the set neck version which uses a different bridge than the standard's 3 point.

20. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ok thanks 1958. The T-bird I want is the IV then. I'll keep an eye out for any IV's for sale.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020